Question

SONOS equipment using 802.11n/802.11ac?

• 14 September 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi fellows, just to check: is the PlayBar & Play:1s unable to connect via 802.11n on the 2.4GHz frequency?

I'd read from somewhere that the newer SONOS series of equipment is able to even make use of 802.11ac; so at "the minimum", I was expecting it to hook onto my 2.4GHz 'n' network...?

From my wireless access point management page, I always see the PlayBar & Play1:s using 802.11g "only".

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No Sonos devices are able to use 'ac' wireless.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

What about wireless-N on the 2.4GHz band?

What about wireless-N on the 2.4GHz band?

In WiFi only mode, Sonos uses wireless-G. My suggestion to you is to set up your Sonos to use Sonosnet mode. That way, your Sonos will default to whatever wireless band it needs, and you can use any WiFi you want for your wireless LAN. For instance, I have a mixture of Sonosnet 1.0 (wireless-G), Sonosnet 2.0 (wireless-N), and Sonos surround (5 GHz) units in my home. My router is a Dual Band 2.4/5 GHz. I have Sonos set up to use Sonosnet (i.e. one component is wired), so my controllers can be connected to either my 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz band, and Sonos doesn't care a whit. Whereas in WiFi mode, I would need to use only the 2.4 GHz channels for all my controllers. In addition, Sonosnet is more reliable and extends Sonos coverage due to the mesh vs. hub/spoke architecture. It also allows you to isolate Sonos to a separate band of channels from your WiFi, so Sonos keeps playing no matter how much bandwidth is being used on the WiFi channels.