Answered

Sonos connect to TV with two play 5's and sub?

Like a lot of people I would like to use two Play 5's to my TV for real stereo separation. But I don't want to use the RCA port for many reasons.
It seems like I should be able to use a Sonos Connect to the TV and the Play 5's to the Connect? How about the Play 5's and the sub? Or even those three and two rears for 5.1?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 21 March 2018, 17:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi DarwinOSX

First setup your Play 5's in stereo pair and bond them to a sub. You can run RCA out from the TV via a RCA to 3.5MM cable to a Play 5 input. You cannot setup surrounds with Play 5's.

If you insist on using the Connect you must set it as a room with RCA out from TV to RCA in on the Connect (or 3.5mm from TV to RCA on Connect). Setup your Play 5's as Stereo pair and named as room. Then group the Connect and Play 5's together. That's a lot. The above solution is simpler.

DD 5.1 can only be achieved with a Playbar or Playbase.

Cheers!
Thanks for the information. I can't use optical from the TV to the Connect? Then wireless to the Play 5s and a sub? I mostly want real stereo and sub, rears aren't required but would have been nice.
I alos have Kef LS50W speakers and I may use those from the Connect. The Connect to the TV by optical and the Connect to the Kefs by RCA. I know some people are using a Connect with the Kefs but don't know if they are using it the way I am talking about with the TV.
I use Roon with the Kefs mostly and it's great but would also like a Sonos option.
Then again I have multiple ways to do multi-room with Roon which also talks to Airplay devices, to Sonos, and a direct integration to the Kef's.
The connect doesn't have an optical input, the optical is for output only. You can use RCA output from to RCA input on the connect, then group the Connect zone with your play 5 zone. However, this setup isn't designed for tv audio, and there will be a slight delay between audio and video. It bothers some but others have no issue with it.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the information. I can't use optical from the TV to the Connect? Then wireless to the Play 5s and a sub? I mostly want real stereo and sub, rears aren't required but would have been nice.

The Sonos Connect does not have an optical in. You would have to find a cable that is optical on one end (out from TV) and RCA on the other (in to Connect). There are cables that are optical to 3.5 mm which would allow you to go direct to the Play 5’s.
Ok thanks. Doesn't sound like what I am looking for. With the number of people wanting to use Play 5's with their TV's you would think Sonos would come up with a better solution.
Ok thanks. Doesn't sound like what I am looking for. With the number of people wanting to use Play 5's with their TV's you would think Sonos would come up with a better solution.

They have. It's called a Playbar/Playbase.
Yes I am aware of that easy answer.
But they are seriously lacking in modern audio formats and connectivity not to mention real stereo separation which is why so many people are having optical to tv issues or looking for alternatives. The number of questions like mine on these forums make that pretty obvious.
The question is does Sonos have the resources or technical chops to update their severely lacking home theater products or will they continue to have unhappy customers and more product returns.
Userlevel 7
OK. If not having rears isn’t an issue then RCA from TV to 3.5 mm to Play 5’s will do just fine. The optical out is mainly to send a DD5.1 to a Playbar or Play base.

One more point: if the audio out for your TV isn’t variable you can’t use your TV remote to control volume of the Play 5’s. You’d have to use the Sonos app.
Yes I am aware of that easy answer.
But they are seriously lacking in modern audio formats and connectivity not to mention real stereo separation which is why so many people are having optical to tv issues or looking for alternatives. The number of questions like mine on these forums make that pretty obvious.
The question is does Sonos have the resources or technical chops to update their severely lacking home theater products or will they continue to have unhappy customers and more product returns.

Those "severely lacking" home theater products have a 4.5 stars out of 5 rating on Amazon, the worlds largest online retailer. I suggest that despite Sonos claims, "Home Theater enthusiasts" are not their target market (no self-respecting home theater enthusiast would use a soundbar in the first place). The Playbar/Playbase niche is Sonos owners who wish for better sound than tiny flat screen speakers, with an easy low maintenance install, which also seamlessly connects with their other Sonos products. Judging from the reviews, they hit their market sweet spot pretty well, codec support or no codec support.

And I'm saying this after having rejected the Playbar for my home theater because it is not suitable for my purpose.
Userlevel 7
I alos have Kef LS50W speakers and I may use those from the Connect. The Connect to the TV by optical and the Connect to the Kefs by RCA. I know some people are using a Connect with the Kefs but don't know if they are using it the way I am talking about with the TV.
I use Roon with the Kefs mostly and it's great but would also like a Sonos option.
Then again I have multiple ways to do multi-room with Roon which also talks to Airplay devices, to Sonos, and a direct integration to the Kef's.

My friend (if you’re still listening) you are waaaay off base. The KEF LS50w wouldn’t have worked with a Connect as the KEF’s only support 3rd party input. The only output is for a sub!

The question becomes why are you obsessing over Sonos Play 5 compatibility when you have the KEF’s? Inquiring minds want to know :?

It appears that You didn’t do your homework...by thinking that a Connect would work with your KEF’s. Furthermore judging from your disdain with Sonos it would appear that you only wanted to troll. I normally wouldn’t say this but yours (as it turns out) IMO was a complete waste of everyone’s time.:@
I would be interested in such a product myself. However, it's doesn't take a market analyst to realize that voice control is what's driving the market these days. I have little doubt that creating the Sonos One and focusing on voice control for the entire system was a much wiser choice than improving their home theatre products and features. I'm still hopeful that they do some work in this area, but I won't hold my breath.