Answered

Sonos Connect to AV Receiver - Possible?

• 16 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Hello. I have 2 Sonos play 5 and for our apartment is more than enough, but I also want to use it for watching tv/movies. My goal is to have a good sound experience and NO lip sync problems. I have this diagram to explain my goal. Is it possible?

- Use Sonos Connect to stream the AV-Receiver to all my Sonos Speakers and be able to watch my AppleTV without lip sync problem.
icon

Best answer by Chris 16 April 2018, 01:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess first you need to decide if the normal 70ms Sonos network delay you find a problem. I personally don't see a lip sync issue but you have to be the judge (some people say they do).

Hook a Play:5 to your receiver via the Play:5 input. That will be the exact same as the Connects input. So see then with the receiver / tv hooked to your Play:5 do you dislike the 70ms delay. Go ahead and group that Play:5 with your other one and see how it is for you.

If you find that the delay introduced is not acceptable to you. The only other choice Sonos wise is to get a playbar/playbase. They will have an optical connection to your TV and only have about 30ms delay - which you won't notice when playing to it.

Test out the Play:5 and then come discuss further as to how that works for you.

Hook a Play:5 to your receiver via the Play:5 input. That will be the exact same as the Connects input. So see then with the receiver / tv hooked to your Play:5 do you dislike the 70ms delay. Go ahead and group that Play:5 with your other one and see how it is for you.

Thanks for the answer Chris
Quick question: IF the 70ms didn't became a problem, what should I use to group the second Play5 to the AVReceiver? Not the Sonos Connect?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When you have it playing via the First Play:5 .... all you have to do is group or pair (if you want them a stereo pair) in the Sonos app and they will both play the same thing.

The input on the Play:5 is IDENTICAL to how the input works on the Connect.

You could actually have the TV input into one Play:5 and go in the Sonos app and without the TV playing on that Play:5 have the TV sound from that input come out of the other Play:5.

The input on the Play:5 is completely independent of the Play:5 itself. It gives you an input that any sonos speaker can select and play.
You could actually have the TV input into one Play:5 and go in the Sonos app and without the TV playing on that Play:5 have the TV sound from that input come out of the other Play:5.

So I wouldn't even need an AVReceiver in the middle? That's an even cheaper option 😃 I love this idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
you would need an analog output from the tv. Or if only digital output from tv you could get a toslink to analog converter for like $20