Answered

Sonos beam and play 3

• 10 December 2018
  • 3 replies

I have currently one Sonos play 3 and am looking at buying a Sonos beam sound at for a new Sony tv I was just wondering if I am able to connect the beam to the play 3 and use both speakers for TV sound?

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 11 December 2018, 10:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You would need two play:3s to make them a surround pair to work perfectly with the Beam.

You can group the Play:3 with the beam but the Play:3 would then be 70ms delayed from the beam creating a stadium type effect.
Thank you for the reply, just to clarify would 2 play 3’s paired get rid of any delay, and if so why would it? And would the delay be massively noticeable?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can add 2 Play 3s to the beam as surrounds and that will get rid of the delay that Chris mentions you would have if you GROUPED a Play 3 (or a stereo pair of Play 3s for that matter) to the Beam. This is because the surrounds are designed to play the video audio channel so don't delay the audio.

I would have thought that if you have a Beam and Play 3 in the same room and the Play 3 is playing the same audio as the Beam but 70ms behind it that would be horrible. But if, say, your Play 3 was in the kitchen and you wanted to continue listening to the TV whilst there but you can't hear the Beam or see the TV it would probably be ok,