Answered

(SONOS BEAM + 2 ONE) + 1 FIVE in the same room

• 15 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello everybody,
I have a SONOS home theater system consisting of a SONOS BEAM soundbar and two SONOS ONE speakers and everything works perfectly.
I have now purchased a SONOS FIVE and would like to add it to the same room as my home theater system.
The problem is that when I reproduce the same sound source in the home cinema (BEAM + 2 ONE) and the FIVE produces an echo or latency between the home cinema and the FIVE very unpleasant, is it possible to correct this?
Thanks.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 15 April 2021, 14:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately no. There will always be a degree of latency between a Sonos speaker grouped to a Sonos home theater system when the source is the TV.  The latency will be less noticeable (or maybe not at all) if the Five were in a different room just to have the audio to listen to a sporting event.

As you probably already know there is no latency when streaming a music source.

You may be able to remove the echo by using the Beam's "TV Dialog Sync" setting.  This would be at the expense of audio-video sync. That may or may not matter to you, depending on how you plan to use the setup.

I bought the SONOS FIVE yesterday afternoon and have only tested it with TV.
I don't technically understand why there is latency between the home theater and the FIVE when you play Tv and there is no latency when you play music.
Could it be because the BEAM picks up the sound from the TV, reproduces it and sends the sound directly to the two ONE and the FIVE receives the sound slightly afterwards from the wifi? And would it make sense that when music is played there is no latency because all the speakers receive the signal simultaneously from the wifi?
As soon as I get home, I will try SPOTIFY to see if there is no latency with streaming music, if so, it would solve my problem because I basically bought the FIVE to improve the sound when listening to music.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I bought the SONOS FIVE yesterday afternoon and have only tested it with TV.
I don't technically understand why there is latency between the home theater and the FIVE when you play Tv and there is no latency when you play music.
Could it be because the BEAM picks up the sound from the TV, reproduces it and sends the sound directly to the two ONE and the FIVE receives the sound slightly afterwards from the wifi? And would it make sense that when music is played there is no latency because all the speakers receive the signal simultaneously from the wifi?
As soon as I get home, I will try SPOTIFY to see if there is no latency with streaming music, if so, it would solve my problem because I basically bought the FIVE to improve the sound when listening to music.

Thank you

Non TV audio is buffered to enable multi room synchronisation of music across multiple rooms.  When the source is a TV in a Home theatre setup, there is no buffering but as soon as you add a sonos device in addition to a home theatre set-up, the new Sonos Room will buffer and introduce a lip sync delay.