Question

Sonos at Wedding

• 14 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Hey guys! Thanks in advance for the help. We are getting married this summer and will be having a small acoustic band (2 guitars and a singer) at the wedding. Is there any way possible that I can connect the line out from the band's amplifier into a sonos system? I would really like to place sonos speakers throughout the venue so you can hear the live music wherever you are ie, the bar, the bathroom, changing rooms. Thank you again, I look forward to hearing from you all

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The line in has a 70 ms delay, making it unsuitable for live performances. You will need a traditional PA system.
Userlevel 4
I mean a Sonos CONNECT might help depending on the setup however as jgatie said, there is a delay. So maybe keep your Sonos speakers out of the main room where the music is playing and have your Sonos units placed into different rooms where both sound timings don't conflict. Regarding the delay, I use a Sonos CONNECT and lip syncing isn't an issue for me. 70ms is a very small amount of time, and it shouldn't create a hassle. Also, one other thing, networking may be an issue. One small blip in the WiFi connection causes all associated Sonos players to cut out. To fix this you could enable audio compression, use a Sonos BOOST (which can't guarantee a 100% fix), or hard wire it all to the network using ethernet cables - but that pushes the delay to many seconds and really begins to push beyond the scope of easy setup.

The optical input on a Playbar could be used to further reduce the delay to 30ms, however using a Playbar as a line-in isn't really optimal! :'D

Due to the possible unreliability of your network, audio delay, and expense of all the Sonos players you will have to buy (or even currently own and risk breaking at the event) I wouldn't recommend it. 😞
Userlevel 4
Also congrats on the engagement and wedding!! ^^
Thank you for the replies. My plan was to only put speakers where you wouldn't be able to hear the live music so I don't think the delay would be an issue. Network on the other hand might be an issue, it's quite a large venue. Thank you again for the help