Sonos Arc / Lossless (Dolby Atmos, Multichannel PCM, etc) / Bass crackle, Center speaker

• 29 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello,

My Sonos ARC’s center speaker has a lot of bass distortion (crackling during bass heavy scenes,when playing back any material that is lossless (Dolby TrueHD and Atmos (TrueHD) from a Blu ray player, LPCM from a blu ray player, etc.).  Playing back lossy material in Atmos, Dolby digital, Dolby Digital+ (such as an Apple TV 4k), does not present the same issue (clean audio).  This is something that I either haven’t noticed before (I bought the ARC back in August of this year), or most recently became an issue (maybe due to a firmware update?).

All components are connected to my LG 55 CX model (set to PASSTHROUGH), eARC HDMI out to the ARC.  I have power cycled all components, used different HDMI cords, checked that all components and TV have the latest firmware, etc.  

Any help would be much appreciated.  since most of my watching is with lossless audio.  Thank you.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +17

Hi @spoutykk79,

Are you only experiencing the crackling sounds when playing via your Blu-Ray player, or do you also experience this when playing from other sources that sends Dolby TrueHD or Atmos content? If it’s only via the Blu-Ray player, then you’ve isolated where the problem lies.

I don’t believe this is an issue with the Sonos firmware, as we’d likely see thousands of such complaints on here and through our customer care team.

Do you have a TruePlay Tuning profile set on the Arc? Does the crackling get better/worse if you disable or retune?

Hi @spoutykk79,

Are you only experiencing the crackling sounds when playing via your Blu-Ray player, or do you also experience this when playing from other sources that sends Dolby TrueHD or Atmos content? If it’s only via the Blu-Ray player, then you’ve isolated where the problem lies.

I don’t believe this is an issue with the Sonos firmware, as we’d likely see thousands of such complaints on here and through our customer care team.

Do you have a TruePlay Tuning profile set on the Arc? Does the crackling get better/worse if you disable or retune?

Hi James, Thank you for answering back.  

• I’ve experienced it on two devices so far: 
    1. Blu ray player DolbyTrueHD, Atmos, and LPCM
  • 2. AppleTV 4k - Infuse App - Playing back material that’s DolbyTrueHD or DTS-MA (which obviously comes out as “LPCM 7.1”)

On both devices, the issue does not present itself when playing back all lossy Dolby (legacy DD and DD+ and Atmos via DD+)

Trueplay is ON, but turning it off does not fix the issue for lossless material.