Question

SONOS, Apple-TV and projector

• 3 January 2017
  • 3 replies

I have an Apple-TV and projector that I would like to connect to a SONOS surround system if possible.
I am not sure if this is possible and if so, how to build the surround system.
Neither the Apple-TV, nor the projector has an optical line-out for sound.
Are there any possibility to build a surround system with Apple-TV and a projector or do I have to use a TV-set?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes, with the addition of a HDMI splitter. There are many models (search Amazon for suggestions) that you could insert between the Apple TV and your Projector that would provide the opportunity to get an optical out to feed to the Playbar.
Hi Bruce, I'm looking into Sonos myself and have a similar set up as Lars. Have you used an HDMI/Optical splitter to know that it would work? I'm guessing that an HDMI switch box output could also be run through such a splitter and feed the playbar? I've found what appears to be a highly recommended spitter on Amazon and am close to purchasing it, but wanted to see if anyone has actually used it for this purpose. (also, any settings need to change on Apple TV in order for this to work well?) Thanks much!
Unfortunately, I have not. I tend to rely on the words of many who have posted about / around this issue in the Home Theater section of this board.

In all honesty, I don't think I've seen a single post where someone said "this doesn't work", and many who have said "I've got X, and it works great". I think it boils down to features you want, and cost. And from what I can tell, they all seem to require a remote for changing inputs, so if you don't have a "all in one" remote, you may want to think about one. I tend to like Logitech, but that's mostly because I've been using them for about 20 years, and don't have any experience with any others.

Poke around for 15 minutes in the "Home Theater" section, and you'll probably find a recommendation. I just don't have enough experience to give you any valuable opinions.