Answered

SONOS ALEXA Integration?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Been waiting to hear news about when this will happen and am starting to think it never will. I have Sonos and Alexa in every room. I did this with the assurance that Sonos and Alexa are going to work together. There has been next to no news regarding integration for the past 6 months.... When can we expect to hear about Sonos and Alexa integration? Is it still happening? Please any update would be appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 31 August 2017, 23:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

267 replies

There's a lot of other threads with basically the same question, although search functions on this forum are suspect. The gist is, they promised to have it out in 2017, and it's not ready yet. Generally speaking, Sonos doesn't post timelines for releases.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I understand that their our a ton of threads out their about this very subject. I also would have to think that the more threads created about this topic the more aware SONOS will be how ready a lot of their clients are for this technology. Thank you for your reply Bruce. Hope you have a great day!
You're most welcome, although I'm fairly certain, having been involved in my fair share of software development processes that there's no amount of board posting that would have any effect whatsoever on the speed of the team. In fact, often to the opposite, as I often had difficulty keeping my developers from reading the boards. The more posts there were to get them riled up, the slower the development effort, even if I forbad them to post in the boards.

At this point, I think Sonos is quite aware of the pent up desire for the software to be released.

I hope you have a wonderful day as well.
It has been confirmed several times by Sonos personnel that it is being worked at this time and will be released this year. Assuming it is in private beta right now, it means they are going to be especially tight lipped. In other words, the less you hear, the more is going on. Unlike Denon and others who promise things which then never come to fruition, when Sonos announces they are working on something, they deliver.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for jumping in everyone. Great answers already. As suggested, I can't really provide any extra details today, but I assure you, we're as excited about this as you are. It is coming. We'll let the world know as soon as there's more to say, and we'll announce here on the community (and elsewhere) if there are any opportunities to help us beta test.
Badge
It is coming. Glad to hear this, as I very much want better Alexa integration. I worry that the innovation will be focused on the hardware side more, like another line in for Alexa or even built-in Alexa. Would not benefit the $1.5k Sonos hardware I've already got.
It is coming. Glad to hear this, as I very much want better Alexa integration. I worry that the innovation will be focused on the hardware side more, like another line in for Alexa or even built-in Alexa. Would not benefit the $1.5k Sonos hardware I've already got.

No need to worry. It has been stated the implementation will not require a line-in, and will work with all former and current Sonos products sold.
No need to worry. It has been stated the implementation will not require a line-in, and will work with all former and current Sonos products sold.

Where was that stated? I ask because an article on Variety indicates that you'll still issue commands to an Echo.

Oh... I suppose the deal there is, "you talk to the Echo, and an Alexa skill talks to your Sonos over the Internet to make your Sonos do stuff." That feels less like "integration" than having the Echo features built into a new kind of Sonos device. So I don't have to have an Echo. I guess that's the "Sonos will eventually make its own speakers with integrated microphones for voice control." bit.

Where was that stated? I ask because an article on Variety indicates that you'll still issue commands to an Echo.

Oh... I suppose the deal there is, "you talk to the Echo, and an Alexa skill talks to your Sonos over the Internet to make your Sonos do stuff." That feels less like "integration" than having the Echo features built into a new kind of Sonos device. So I don't have to have an Echo. I guess that's the "Sonos will eventually make its own speakers with integrated microphones for voice control." bit.

It was stated in this forum, by a Sonos tech. If the search function was worth a damn, I could link to it. However, it was also implied in the press release when they said:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening

These new voice capabilities will be delivered in a software update that will work with new and previously purchased Sonos and Alexa-enabled devices such as Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Amazon Tap, and Amazon Fire TV.

Since all "new and previously purchased" Sonos devices do not have line-in, so you can assume a line-in is not necessary. However, at first an Alexa device will be needed, though the CEO has stated that a microphone array with Alexa tech is the next phase.

Also, it is not merely an Alexa skill, it is a full on integration between the two companies.
Badge
That feels less like "integration" than having the Echo features built into a new kind of Sonos device. So I don't have to have an Echo. I guess that's the "Sonos will eventually make its own speakers with integrated microphones for voice control." bit.

Built-in Alexa may be on the roadmap of future hardware, but the mics in current-gen Sonos hardware do not have the capabilities of Echo mics. In other words regardless of whether Sonos implemented Alexa Cloud or something into the Sonos firmware the mic wouldnt have the necessary range.

But I already have an Echo/Dot in every room with a Sonos and I do not mind them to be separate. I was actually worried that Sonos would focus on upgrading the mic alone, as you suggest, and require me to upgrade my hardware in order to say "Alexa, play album X in the living room and bedroom" for example. Jgatie's comment speaks to this being a firmware/cloud software upgrade only so that feature would be back compatible.
Given Sonos' past history, any implementation that would require replacement of all of their old hardware would be a total surprise, and disappointment. They have a history of maintaining support for older equipment, sometimes to the chagrin of some of us (think of memory limitations and the 65K limit). Based on their statements posted both in the press release, as well as statements in these boards (there was a post today in another thread), I have full confidence that all of my old speakers will remain fully supported, given my 3 Amazon devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only the play:5 2nd gen has microphone and Sonos has implied they wouldn't be of use with Alexa.

Some are saying Sonos implied earlier release. If you want someone who did more then emply... denon for their system when it jumped in saying me Sonos said they would have available in 1st quarter. And hasn't said a word about since. Sonos continues to say it is in development and we all expect to hear more from them soon. No crickets around here.
Been waiting to hear news about when this will happen and am starting to think it never will. I have Sonos and Alexa in every room. I did this with the assurance that Sonos and Alexa are going to work together. There has been next to no news regarding integration for the past 6 months.... When can we expect to hear about Sonos and Alexa integration? Is it still happening? Please any update would be appreciated.
Been announce few days a go for the beta version and I presume should be out in the next months
Been announce few days a go for the beta version and I presume should be out in the next months

No beta was announced anywhere. Any presumptions of anything would be pure speculation, and a setup for disappointment.
I been told by our rep should soon and few website mention too

Maybe only few selected people no panic man I also got Amazon dot last year we just need to be patient. Sonos always work very hard to release they software to work the best way. Trust me I sell and setup lot of network music network and sonos are the best in this territory of making software realable
There was no official statement from Sonos. Anyone who knows anything about any testing going on is under a very strict NDA. So anyone saying anything is guessing, because nobody in the know would risk violating the NDA.

That post is pure speculation and rumor.
Soon please. I don't like listening to music on my Alexa. I want to use my 2 5's. But I'm lazy. Alexa play the rolling stones is just too easy..... I can handle "alexa play the rolling stones on Sonos". Make it so Sonos wizards. Oh, and anyone in the decision loop who is advocating for a proprietary speech rec system should be demoted, fired and/or terminated. Oh again, I don't really listen to the rolling stones on Alexa Echo. That would be stupid.
Who said anyone was advocating for a proprietary speech recognition? The CEO himself said they are going to strive to incorporate other voice control platforms, not invent their own.
I get that this is being worked on. But to be honest it has taken way way too long. They should have built a skill for a low level integration. They should be embarrassed that Apple just released a speaker and they haven't even given their loyal customer base a update which allows simple interface with Alexa. Wouldn't surprise me that they are holding back their own smart speaker which runs either Google or Alexa. Regardless, I feel my loyalty has been taken advantage of... Software wise. This is taking way too long. There really is no excuse. We bought into the Sonos vision. They are now running 6 months behind a reasonable schedule for an update. 😠
...They should be embarrassed that Apple just released a speaker and they haven't even given their loyal customer base a update which allows simple interface with Alexa...

Correction: Apple just announced a new speaker. They haven't released anything and don't plan to until December.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm surprised no one has gone to Sonos and said "help us make the best smart speaker on the market"

Sonos, Sonosnet, et al are the best in the business at multiroom.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Who said anyone was advocating for a proprietary speech recognition? The CEO himself said they are going to strive to incorporate other voice control platforms, not invent their own.

Gazing into my Crystal Ball I can see an Echo Dot like gadget shaped like a Apple TV that could become the integration for all other products - Alexa / Siri and Google. 🆒
Userlevel 3
Badge
I'll be interested to see how Sonos-Alexa integration works in practice.

I've got a Sonos Play 3 and Echo Dot in my kitchen and when music is playing, I often find I need to shout at Alexa several times to get commands recognised.

Given the Apple HomePod contains both mics and speakers, I wonder if Apple can do some clever audio processing to improve speech recognition over loud music?

I think it is inevitable that the Apple HomePod will take some sales away from Sonos although my guess is that Sonos knew this was coming... Apple AirPlay2 is improving multi-room audio for Apple devices and while it won't be at the level of Sonos, when your name is Apple, you don't need to be the best to sell product, just "good enough".
After Apple's announcement yesterday - I am really excited to hear any NEW news on Sonos-Alexa integration - I have my house covered with Sonos and use Alexa as my automation hub but have to revert to connecting to a BT receiver. Excited for the day when I can have Alexa play music through my Sonos network....