Question

Sonos 5 to Samsung TV

• 29 November 2017
  • 10 replies

Total amateur AV person... wife bought me a Sonos 5 and trying to connect it to Samsung Smart TV. TV is on the wall, but has HDMi cables running through the wall, and not keen to add new cables to the TV due to the look (cannot run anythign else through the well). Given this, can I connect the Sonos 5 to the TV via an HDMi cable with a converter/switch? How is this done? Thanks for any insights!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes you can route all your HDMI cables to a splitter and then run single HDMI cable to TV. The splitter would have optical out to run the optical to playbar from there.

Monoprice has some popular versions

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557

***Edit - oops I thought he was talking playbar - answer still applies to the stereo output to Play:5 from the splitter.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
No, not with an HDMI cable unless your TV has an HDMI out. If then I wouldn't think it would work as your TV would likely send the video along with the audio.

You could get something to splice audio out from your video source if it's an external device but then it would have to have a 3.5mm jack so the Sonos could take the audio signal. You would have an audio delay and lip sync issues, however.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oops nifoxke is right as I was thinking playbar - you need analog out.

Your best with that is to pull from the source the analog signal to the Play:5. What devices do you have?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Yes you can route all your HDMI cables to a splitter and then run single HDMI cable to TV. The splitter would have optical out to run the optical to playbar from there.

Monoprice has some popular versions

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557

He's referencing a Play:5, not a Playbar unfortunately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
He could still use the same Monoprice HDMI splitter as it has an analog stereo output as well that could go to the Play:5.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Yep. I guess it'll depend what he has for audio sources. Would be tough if they're using just the smart TV apps.
thanks. So if I connect the splitter from an HDMi cable from TV, I can then plug in the Sonos 5 to the splitter and have sound? I assume i would need an audio cable from splitter to Sonis 5? Apologies... just very novice at this all.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
You would put the splitter between your video device (cable/satellite box, Apple TV, etc.) and the TV. Then you would run the HDMI from the splitter to the TV and then the audio cable from the splitter to the 3.5mm jack of the Play:5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you unhook all the HDMI cables going to TV except one HDMI cable to TV. All sources HDMI cables go to splitter and then single HDMI cable from splitter (splitter does the switching of sources) and cable from splitter to play:5. 3.5mm to 3.5mm standard headphone cable to the play:5 from splitter.
great thanks for the info! Will give this a try.