Question

Sonos 5 on campus

• 28 October 2017
  • 3 replies

My daughter has a sonos 5 for her dorm. When I talked to the campus IT department, they said they will not allow routers to connect to their network. They seem to think we can use the Ethernet port in the room to hardwire the speakers to the network. Will that work? Also, they need the MAC ID to do so. I assume it’s the 13 digit number on the back of the device starting with 5C? Also, is the 7th number typically the number 0 or the letter O? Hard to tell from looking at it. Is there anything else I need to think about to get this done? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If the Ethernet port bridges to the WiFi, then yes it will work.

As to the MAC, the number on the back is the serial number. Inside it is the MAC in this format:

#### AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF-##
Mac address is AA:BB:CC: DD:EE:FF

You can also view this serial number after connecting the Sonos to a system, going to Settings->About My Sonos System in the app and scrolling down to that device.
Thanks for the response. On the serial number, is it a series of 12 letters plus two numbers or can it be a mix of numbers and letters? I can’t find 12 letters so I assume it’s the former? Or am I looking at the wrong set of numbers? Thanks.
Letters and numbers. A zero ( 0 ) is always a zero, not an O.