Question

Sonos 5 Line-In to PC / Computer

• 13 February 2017
  • 7 replies

Alex I understand that the Sonos 5 Gen 2 can be hard-connected to external devices including a PC.
I would like to do this occasionally for non-music audio.
The Sonos has a 3.5mm Line-In port at the back.
How do you connect the other end to the PC?
For example, at the back of my PC I have six soundcard 3.5 mm port of different colours (black, yellow, green, orange, etc

Much appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Typically, it would be the one used for headphones. Are any of your ports labeled in that fashion? It may not be in the same area as the colored ones, I'm not familiar with your kind of PC.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hey Alex..

There are standard colour codes for older sound cards that often can follow this: but no guarantees...

Color Connector
Lime Green Line-Out, Front Speakers, Headphones
Pink Microphone
Light Blue Stereo Line In
Orange Subwoofer and Center out
Black Rear Surround Speakers for 5.1 and 7.1 systems
Gray Middle Surround Speakers for 7.1 systems
Gold Midi / Game port (Joystick)

If yours complies to this... use the lime greeen port.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
there are standard colour codes for older sound cards that should have you using the lime green colour port.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Can't. Post. Answer. Web. Failing.

Will try yet again..

There is a standard colour coding for older PC Cards.... you should Use the lime green port.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Trying to post - yet again- clearly the community infrastructure is having a problem.

There are typical standards for typical standard sound cards... based on this you should use the Lime green port for 'headphone' use.
Huh. My previous answer did post, despite it telling me it didn't. SHARKB8T, I've let the mods know, they're working with the board provider on this "can't post, but does" issue. But I suspect we'll see a lot of multiple posts in the next few hours, until it gets fixed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Clearly. 😞