Answered

Sonos 5.1 (with two play1s) Vs. Two Play5s Vs. HiFi speakers

• 30 January 2017
  • 4 replies

New to Sonos and I love it. I have a sound bar and sub set up with two play1s as surrounds. I also have a sonos connect set up to a benchmark DAC1 to Meridian 556 and a pair of Boston Acoustic T1030 flood speaker. I have a turntable connected to the Sonos connect as well.

So far I love the sound so much from the Sonos I am thinking about selling my T1030 speakers!

Should I be looking at getting a pair of Play5s for the music? If so should I sell the connect and connect the turntable to the Play5s? Or will the experience I am getting with the 5.1 sound be just as good? Should I be looking at replacing the T1030 speakers with something to get a better listening experience? I would be will to spend about the cost of two new play5s if I sell my current speakers. But I was also thinking of getting a Rega turntable with the money too.

Thank for the advice. I never thought I would be considering getting rid of my traditional Hi-Fi system.
icon

Best answer by Kumar 30 January 2017, 03:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I never thought I would be considering getting rid of my traditional Hi-Fi system.
Lol; I did just that in 2011/12, though I have held on to some very good speakers because it was, on a net basis, cheaper to use a Connect Amp to drive them.
Presumably you are talking about one room - and the first thing I would suggest you do is delete the play 1 from their surrounds role and see if there is noticeable reduction in the fun of the TV experience.
If there isn't, move the 1 units as an independent stereo pair to the front of the room and group the Connect with these and see how just this set up sounds for pure music play. If you feel that bass is lacking a little, there are solutions for that, but it would be good to see how these first steps go - no buying actions yet.
Hi Kumar, Thank you for the advice. I just set up the Play1s and I really like having the surround sound for the TV. So I was running the TV without them before and I defiantly like having them. I really wish I could just add two Play 5s for 7.1 I would do that in a second. I have a Play5 and Play1 independent in different rooms and the Play5 really sounds wonderful.

You can also switch the surrounds from ambient to full.
The reason I said what I did was that almost all the great sound for TV comes from the bar+Sub; typically the surround content is subtle.
But while you can't do 7.1, what you can do is try a pair of 5 units in front, and see how just that sounds for music, compared to the sound from the other Sonos set up in "full" mode, and compared also to your BA set up.
And you can also group that 5 pair placed in front with the "full" mode and see how that sounds!
And then, let your ears decide:-).
I doubt there will be any need to hold on to the DAC+Meridian+BA, and if the TT can be easily wired to one of the 5 units, you won't need the Connect either.
Thank you Kumar