Songs skipping

Badge
When I play songs from my iPhone playlist if often skips to the next song halfway through for no reason. It also cuts out frequently. Here is my diagnostic 7694632.

Please help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello, thanks for reaching out. The diagnostic is showing that there is a wired Sonos BRIDGE along with wireless network details saved to the Sonos system. It appears to have caused some confusion and a couple of the Sonos speakers are in wireless mode instead of BOOST mode. To resolve this issue we'll want to reboot your router by powering it off for 30 seconds and then power it back up, allowing 3-4 minutes for it to completely boot. After the router boots follow the steps here to remove the wireless details from Sonos to ensure all players stay in BOOST mode: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4284
Badge
Thanks. I did that and the play 3 in the kitchen is still skipping when I have it play the TV in the family room. Here is the new diagnostic. 7959003
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Wenglo. Thanks for submitting the diagnostic and for your patience on this. Based on the most recent diagnostic, it seems the Kitchen is connecting to your network wirelessly instead of talking to nearby players. How far is the Kitchen unit from the next closest player?

Additionally, you want to be sure that when you install a BOOST, to remove the wireless credentials from Sonos. This will help you to avoid problems like this in the future.
I am extremely disappointed. I have loved my Sonos for years, I have found the quality and ease to be outstanding. However, very recently I started to get skipping on music played from itunes/music app (streaming appears ok) like sooo many people on this forum. I have tried everything to eliminate the problem including upgrading my iPad iOS, erasing iPad and loading everything manually, resetting internet through cable company, no less than four visits to Genius Bar, hours on the phone with Adler R from Sonos, and still my stored music skips. I am highly invested here as my music collection is priceless and my Sonos equipment was expensive.

I am being told from Sonos that because of a recent Sonos software change I must eliminate all of the airplay in my home. They are asking me to

1. Remove my cable box, which means I must break my cable contract, find a replacement cable service, lose a day waiting for new service and change something I have been content with for six years. Or I should eliminate cable tv all together from my life.

2. Throw out a high end Onkyo stereo receiver which drives speakers in another room. I would gladly replace that entire system, speakers and all with Sonos 5 if I had an ounce of confidence that Sonos would support me in the future.

3. Disconnect my Apple TV which means no more Netflix, HBO GO, or other Apple TV streaming.

Really? Do they also want me to surrender one of my children? How is this level of support from a great company like Sonos acceptable to them? How is it acceptable to RCN, Apple and Onkyo? Is my congressman aware of this anti trust like ploy to take 100% of my in home entertainment?

Shame on Sonos, as this is some sort of fight with Apple putting valued customers in the middle, or very very sloppy engineering.
1) This doen't make any sense to me. What was the reason that Sonos gave you for removing your cable box?

2) What is the reason to get rid of the Onkyo?

3) Why not just change the setting on the Apple TV to turn off AirPlay 2, under Settings>AirPlay>AirPlay? This would be a solution if you were having issues with AirPlay directly to your Sonos speakers, but perhaps that's not your issue?

If indeed this was the advice given to you by someone on the phone, I think they may not have been properly trained., or perhaps you misunderstood what they were saying..

You might get better information given to you if you were to post more details here. What Sonos equipment do you have? How is it connected, and to what? You indicate that you're playing both from iTunes, which implies using AirPlay 2, and streaming, which implies Sonos, which are you having difficulties with? The fact that you have the Onkyo driving a separate room implies a CONNECT, correct? Give the community here some additional details, and you'd be likely to et some pretty good advice. But without the details, we're all guessing, since none of us have the ability to read any diagnostic that you may have submitted to Sonos.

I'm a relatively heavy Apple household, despite the fact I'm typing this on a Win10 machine. I don't have any issues with my Sonos speakers, of which I have about 18 or so, both with streaming music as well as NAS play, and using AirPlay 2..

There's quite a few users here who might be able to give you more expert advice, and get you back to a solid and stable system.
Thanks Bruce. Playing my Sonos 3’s through Sonos app, and not airplay2. Diagnostics are showing that all airplay must be removed from house to el8minate skipping. My cable company is telling me that I cannot disable airplay at their box. The Onkyo has airplay built in and is how I drove my living room. Good to know I can disable airplay at Apple TV, but problem still exists on two other devices. This is all very recent and has something to do with a change Sonos has made.
Who's the cable provider? I wasn't aware there were any who had AirPlay 2 built in to their systems, but then again I'm a DirecTV guy. And is it AirPlay 2, or just AirPlay?

Yea, I think Sonos is taking this one for the team, I think Apple made a change in the background that has borked the way Sonos implemented, and now Sonos is on their back foot, trying to convince the Apple machinery that the change that was made wasn't ideal for them, and to come up with some better solution. This, though, is speculation on my part. I'm pretty sure that Sonos wouldn't have done this intentionally, as it has caused so much trouble for many of us. For me, it was fairly easy to turn off the AirPlay 2 on both of my Apple TVs, and I don't have any other equipment that has AirPlay 2 other than the Sonos speakers, and of course my iOS and Macs.

But I think there's more than one single issue going on. When Sonos released 9.1, they indicated that they'd fixed an issue that caused this similar behaviour, and there were some people who agreed that it had been fixed for them. There were others, not unlike yourself, that indicate that it's still going on.

From my experience, the other thing that helped me was turning off the "auto-lock" on my iOS device, so that they never went "to sleep". I kept them plugged in, too, since powering the screen is a significant drain. Give that a try, since you can't turn off AirPlay 2 on the Onkyo (or can you? Have you pulled the manual? I'd honestly be surprised if you couldn't. It may not be evident, and buried somewhere...) I guess if you can't turn off the cable box, there's not much point in chasing the Onkyo unless the cable box is AirPlay, and not AirPlay 2

It's not ideal, but the amount I have invested in my Sonos makes it more palatable than throwing them out the window, and frankly, they still work incredibly well. And I'm sure that Sonos is doing everything they can to fix it. Sure, it's not fast enough for most of us, but I'm willing to bet they're not just siting around twiddling their thumbs.
RCN cable with a TiVo box. This is such a problem for me. I wait on hold with RCN and they have no idea what I am talking about, so they send me to TiVo, Tivo says it’s not their problem on and on.

This is a remarkable blunder by Sonos, as Apple provides specs of all changes to all partners in advance. They will need a patch quickly because more Sonos people will be sucked in.

Re the Onkyo, I deliberately bought airplay to play wirelessly. I would gladly give it up along with the wired speakers for a pair of Sonos 5’s in the living room. I was about to do that anyway, but having second thoughts now - why double down on Sonos now after this? I am nervous that at some point in the near future Apple and Sonos could separate even further. Apple has told me they will not support this problem since Sonos is not an Apple product. The Apple wireless speakers are not ready for me yet.

This is nerve racking because we live on our music. So far I have put in many hours to the problem, and am frustrated that I need to give up my favored cable vendor, cable package, and face fees for breaking my cable contract. Just seems unfair.
Having worked with Apple as a partner in my own work, I can assure you that they don't provide specs to all partners in advance.

But that doesn't make your predicament any easier. I've never heard of RCN before, so I've got no insight into that box. Perhaps another member of these boards has more knowledge that can help you.
Ok, so in July Sonos sped into an alliance with Apple to support airplay 2. This was a business move to better align with the future of Apple, and to boost the value of the Sonos company. In so doing they inadvertently left me behind.

I have Sonos 3’s that I play through the Sonos app. And while I do play Pandora, it is my personal music that I cherish. My iPhone and iPad sleeps/locks after a certain time because I also have Microsoft work emails on the devices, and that email is secured. As a result my stored music skips because I have other airplay devices in the home (TiVo box, Onkyo receiver and Apple TV) which now conflict with the Sonos setup. Many people don’t suffer with this problem because they don’t have this combination of playing stored music, they don’t have airplay in the home or because they don’t have work email on their devices which forces a lock.

Sonos promotes the fact that they don’t create obsolescence, but in my case they have. I hope this is temporary, and do feel they answer my ongoing phone calls and diagnostics to solve. For now I fell through the cracks and my expensive speakers with their stunning sound and winning aesthetics are obsolete, dead to me.

I have read that by buying a new One I can link the One to my pair of Three’s (set up as stereo) and move the Three’s to airplay 2, which might eliminate the problem. My questions are: 1). Is this true, 2) can I silence the 1, use it just as a link for my awesome 3’s, or 3) can I buy a new pair of Fives for the living room, and thereby get airplay 2 on my Three’s in the bedroom (still allowing each room to run separate)?
1) Yes, you can group a stereo pair of PLAY:3s with a Sonos One, and get stereo AirPlay 2 out of them.
2) Honestly, I've never tried it, but you should be able to mute the Sonos One and only listen to the PLAY:3s. You just couldn't play something different on the Sonos One (by which I mean it's slightly different than the way the line0in works, which doesn't require the line-in to be played on the speaker that has the line-in)
3) Because of 2), you wouldn't be able to run 2 different AirPlay 2 streams in the two rooms at the same time. But yes, a stereo pair of PLAY:5 gen 2s would be able to receive a single AirPlay 2 signal. As long as they were stereo paired, they could receive a single signal. You would be able to group the stereo pair of PLAY:5s with the stereo pair of PLAY:3s, and control the volume separately.

If you've been communicating with Sonos on this, it might be useful to the forum folks if you were to post the service ticket number, so that they could do some follow up on your situation. The folks who work these boards are higher tier/more experienced/better trained (I'm making some assumptions there) than what I would expect from the phone folks. They've all been here for years, and rather than following a script, they understand the system pretty well. You might be able to get additional help from them if you were to provide that data. They're also busy, so I wouldn't expect an answer from them every 10 minutes, but usually when I've seen them get their teeth into an issue, they tend not to let it go, unless it ends up needing something like a remote desktop session to understand the issue, etc. Unfortunately, it's just not possible to diagnose everything in a text exchange. But I'd give them at least a 90% success rate, from what I've seen.

Good luck!
Thanks. I would gladly buy a Manhattan dinner for the person who solves case #00277947. Some recent diagnostics are 352885204, 540137333, and 1642543128.
If anyone out there knows steps to a) add gen two Sonos One to older speakers to enable airplay 2, and then b) how to mute the new One (so I can enjoy the simple stereo of the Threes) I would be very very grateful.
Userlevel 7
If anyone out there knows steps to a) add gen two Sonos One to older speakers to enable airplay 2, and then b) how to mute the new One (so I can enjoy the simple stereo of the Threes) I would be very very grateful.

Hi JesseSonos

I guess I'm not understanding your issue because as Sonos support and Airgetlam has indicated you can group older speakers to those that support Airplay 2 and have those speakers join in on the fun (in your case Play 3's). In your quote you use the term "mute" the One. In my experience you don't mute a grouped speaker you just LOWER the volume.
Lowing the volume of the initial speaker that started play should not negate the signal to the other secondary speakers in the group (at least that's been my experience).

I don't use Airplay 2 so maybe things are different with it. I'll have to experiment as a I have Play 3's set as surrounds to which I could group my One's or Play 5's to. I'd be interested to know the final outcome of your situation.

Cheers!
For me, I send an AirPlay 2 to a single Sonos One I have in my bedroom. I then group the Sonos One with the pair of PLAY:3s that I have (also happen to be in the bedroom, but that's not really relevant). I then adjust the volume of the Sonos One to minimum, and listen to the stereo pair of PLAY:3s. I've not tried muting it completely, so I'm unsure if that actually stops the AirPlay 2 stream or not.