"Something colorful is coming"

Userlevel 7

It looks like Sonos is about to sell different color Roams...

The file name of the image in this email is “Roam_Colors_Launch.png”

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Lol, I got that email too but didn’t think to log at the name of the image.    Good catch.

Sonos has done this sort of thing in the past  as a limited set, with the play:5 and Sonos One.  I wouldn’t bee too surprised if this ends up as a charity fund raiser sort of thing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

That is what I am thinking, or else they are adding to the color One line but my money is on Roam and less likely Move but that would need an upgrade as well. I do find it weird that I get an email with a link and then a dead page (happened before as well). You would think they could at least put up a simple “Check back” with the timer or something.

ADD: I am going to be really sad when my Sonos Play 1 Blue Note Limited Edition set is no longer going to be able to be used. They are perfect in my Den. It was such a shame that station went away, wish they would bring it back as a Sonos Radio HD exclusive.

I’m also going to go out on a limb and guess that ‘peach’ is going to be one of the color options.

and subscribers...is that subscribing to Sonos Radio?  Or that you subscribed to receive email?  I’m guessing the former, but not sure.  Either way, seems like a good summer promotion. Roam is a good choice for this.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they add $20 to the price for these.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is say it's email/newsletter subscriber and not related to Radio.

Userlevel 7

I can see Sonos sticking to their brand colors:

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

New colors instead of new products... color the engineers sad... easy money, though!  Makes one wonder why Sonos collaborated with Ikea for “downscale” versions of their products rather than with Bang & Olufsen for “upscale” versions.  B&O being masters of the “introducing new ‘exclusive’ colors” audio thingies.  cf. Beosound 1 “New York Edition” (https://design-milk.com/360-degree-sound-beosound-1-new-york-edition/ ) vs. Sonos One Bluenote Edition (https://ystudios.com/bluenote-tone ).  I woulda bought a Beosound 1, even at that price, if it had Sonos innards.

Is say it's email/newsletter subscriber and not related to Radio.

Maybe you got a different email, but mine is identical to the screenshot above.  Since I am subscribed to the newsletter and sonos radio, I don’t know which one it’s referring to.

I can see Sonos sticking to their brand colors:

These were the colors for Sonos One.  If I remember correctly, there were chosen by a European retailer named HAY.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

B&O being masters of the “introducing new ‘exclusive’ colors” audio thingies.  cf. Beosound 1 “New York Edition” (https://design-milk.com/360-degree-sound-beosound-1-new-york-edition/ ) vs. Sonos One Bluenote Edition (https://ystudios.com/bluenote-tone ).  I woulda bought a Beosound 1, even at that price, if it had Sonos innards.

See above but I love my Blue Note edition speakers. It was such a cool idea at the time tying it in with the anniversary and the extra channels, etc..

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Confirming @sjw: Sonos Radio subscription not required to receive this e-mail.

New colors instead of new products... 

Not officially announced yet, but Sonos is set to release the Sonos Ray by the end of the month.  The  thread on it around here somewhere, and Google will turn up lots of hits.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

See above but I love my Blue Note edition speakers. It was such a cool idea at the time tying it in with the anniversary and the extra channels, etc..

Agreed about the tie-ins, but I’m a sucker for gradients / ombré regardless.  Not my favorite, especially not the “Dune” tie-in, but here’s another B&O gradient special edition: https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/us/speakers/beosound-a1-crafted-edition 

Note that theirs are done with anodization & polishing, not just CNC spray painters on plastic.  Contrast with giving Hay design fees just to pick colors, sheesh.  There must be plenty of talent at Hay, but to me their work just looks like 1960s color choices on squat, blunt, unsophisticated objects.  Who knows, maybe the objects won’t wear out for decades, as a result!

Userlevel 7

Here are some leaked photos a user on Reddit posted. Very similar to their branding colors:

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Similar but just smaller changes that are pretty interesting. Funny, asked my wife and she liked the Olive and Sunset, while Wave was my choice. 30 years together and we are perfectly in sync. Not. 

Similar but just smaller changes that are pretty interesting. Funny, asked my wife and she liked the Olive and Sunset, while Wave was my choice. 30 years together and we are perfectly in sync. Not. 

I would vote for Wave too.  Sunset is interesting but would clash with pretty much every other thing I own..  Olive?  Eh, not for me, 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Ooooh they are pretty. Do you think they will charge more for them? I already have one Roam and one Roam SL so cannot justify anymore 😅

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Ooooh they are pretty. Do you think they will charge more for them? I already have one Roam and one Roam SL so cannot justify anymore 😅

Justify is a word that is way overused. I think the word you were really looking for was “wait” to buy some more.

And Sonos does retain a lot of the value in the second hand market, you could potentially resell your current versions, and ‘upgrade’ to a new color :)

Userlevel 7

Anyone see any “exclusives” on the Sonos website yet?

I’d assume that they wouldn't show up until after the press event. But having said that, I’m not sure what time that’s scheduled for anyway. Someone may have fat-fingered that timer initially. 

I’d assume that they wouldn't show up until after the press event. But having said that, I’m not sure what time that’s scheduled for anyway. Someone may have fat-fingered that timer initially. 

I would bet that the timer was set to Pacific time, since that’s where Sonos is located...but the email code is in your actual time zone?   I don’t know.

Userlevel 7

I would bet that the timer was set to Pacific time, since that’s where Sonos is located...but the email code is in your actual time zone?   I don’t know.

If they are waiting until the Second Quarter Earnings Call today at 5 PM EST, then the email countdown was off by about four hours.

If they are waiting until the Second Quarter Earnings Call today at 5 PM EST, then the email countdown was off by about four hours.

I am totally guessing, but stock market closes at 4PM EST.  If the plan was to announce 4 PM EST, that would be 1 PM PST.  I’m suggesting the timer didn’t properly consider time zones, and counted down to 1 PM in every time zone.  So the 1 PM to 5 PM is the 4 hours early you’re seeing.  For me , it would have been 3 hours...but I wasn’t watching the clock.

Anyway, I am betting we see the announcement in about 45 minutes.