Question

smart tv w bluetooth

• 20 November 2016
  • 10 replies

I have a new Samsung smart tv with bluetooth. When I search from the TV , my SONOS 5 is not found. Is there a way to connect to SONOS from bluetooth smart tvs?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Yes. Looks like you have a Play:5 so you could put a BT receiver in the line in. The sound will then be playable on any of your Sonos speakers. There will be a small audio lag.

But if you already have a Playbar I can't see any point in doing this, as you can already listen to your TV audio through any speaker.
Not a small BT lag either, unless you're using aptX Low Latency. And, yes, why ask about BT when you list a PLAYBAR on your profile?
Sorry for the confusion. The Playbar is upstairs on a different TV & dual Play 3s. The Play 5 is downstairs on the new TV w Bluetooth. No Playbar there. Why would I add BT to line in if the TV already has BT?
The TV can send the BT signal but something has to receive it.
So, the line in is at the P5 end. Gotcha. Now, what would be a good BT receiver? Thanks.
So, the line in is at the P5 end. Gotcha. Now, what would be a good BT receiver? Thanks.
Correct - Sonos does not have BT built in so only route is to add a receiver to a Sonos device with a line in. I don't know any more than you which specific receiver would be best as I don't use Bluetooth. You should check what BT protocols the TV is capable of sending - I have seen reference to superior forms of BT such as A2DP and apt x lossless. I think Google is your friend here - this is not something I know much about.
Thanks John. I'll follow up on the BT question and report back when i have something working well.
Solution works! I picked up a bluetooth receiver at BestBuy for $30. Put it into the line-in on my pre-2016 Play5 (the newer Play5 does not have a line-in!). I grouped both Play5s together after pairing the 1st with the TV's bluetooth. I now have Movie Theater sound. The two 5s on either side of the screen, set about 3 feet off to the side, sound absolutely terrific. The one issue I do have is the dialogue. The soundtracks, crashes, booms, etc. are real. The dialogue sounds too soft - sometimes hard to make out. I need to turn up the volume during dialogue only, then turn it down during non-dialogue moments or I'll lose hearing in both ears.
the newer Play5 does not have a line-in
It does actually. The Gen2 dropped the headphone outlet from the Gen1, not the Line-In.
Last night when I tried using the one available (not labeled) potential input for the Gen2, I could not get the 3.5 plug to fit all the way into the hole. I gave up and used my older Play5 which worked easily. I just went downstairs to try the new one again. It appears I was too hasty to abandon the attempt. Thank you for the correction.