Question

Small/Medium Bedroom: Playbar + Sub, or Play:5 + (2x)Play:1?

• 3 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all, a bit new to Sonos, hoping someone can confirm my understanding and make recommendations. Just started testing the waters by getting a Play:1, and of course I like it, but was sad to figure out after my purchase that audio source options is limited. Specially, I listen to a lot of BBC Radio1 via their website, and I was under the impression I could connect my smart TV, but now realize I need to get other products to make either of these things possible. To listen to music coming from a web browser I'm pretty sure my options are A) Connect my TV to a Playbar via optical input and stream my laptop/iPad to the TV (via Apple TV), or 😎 Connect my laptop/iPad to a Play:5 via the audio jack (or kind of like A, connect TV to Play:5 via audio jack and stream iPad to TV).

I mostly listen to music, so would definitely like the clean bass from either a Play:5 or Sub. So it looks as though my options would be A) Playbar + Sub, or 😎 Play:5 (and could add 2x Play:1s to get true stereo sound). To clarify, I'll be setting up my bedroom first, which is roughly 11ft x 12ft (for most people this is probably small/medium, but having lived in Boston and NY, to me this is pretty big, lol). Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere before, I searched and couldn't find any similar discussion. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hello Russlush3, sorry about the delay in response. Were you able to find an appropriate solution for your bedroom's audio? It you're a TV/movie fan, the PLAYBAR and SUB can give you more flexibility to use with the TV, as the RCA port on the PLAY:5 only passes a stereo signal. Additionally, you can add a pair of PLAY:1s for a full surround sound setup.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Manny, it's okay, after a while I assumed it's probably best to just buy and test out myself, and can probably sell off at a decent price if I change my mind. So I ended up changing plans again and getting a Playbar and two Play:1s. The experience thus far has been good. Placing the Play:1s on the nightstands really draws out their bass and is sufficient for my needs. Actually I would be a little worried about putting a Sub in a small bedroom since I live in an apartment complex and more bass might disturb neighbors. For a living room I can see that Playbar+Play:1s+Sub it is probably ideal. For a small bedroom, however, I think Sonos has room to offer more appropriate products.

To be specific, for TV use, I really do see the huge benefit of having the central, front speaker and two surrounds. My only gripe is the Playbar is HUGE (as well as heavy and expensive). For a large living room, it is worth it, but for small bedroom, pretty unnecessary. I wish you offered a smaller Playbar with similar connectivity...you offer your standard speakers in 3 sizes, could you offer your Playbar in 2 sizes? For music use, the Playbar doesn't really diversify the sound, it just adds more of it. If I was only interested in music, I'd be sufficiently happy with the two Play:1s. I'd just need a way to link the TV...I know the Connect is an option, but again, expensive (and a little big) for what it does. Ideally there'd be something small to hook up the back of the TV and/or work with the major TV manufacturers to simply make apps for the TVs to enable connectivity.

Alright, a little verbose, but my two main requests/recommendations is 1) Offer a smaller Playbar, and 2) Include a web browser in the Sonos app to stream of other audio sources.

Thanks,
For a small bedroom, the sound from a modern TV by itself may be adequate after making use of the sound options that they now usually offer.

Music needs are then met by either a single 1 or a stereo paired 1.
For a small bedroom, the sound from a modern TV by itself may be adequate after making use of the sound options that they now usually offer.

Music needs are then met by either a single 1 or a stereo paired 1.

It may not be your use case, but I see huge benefits to being able to get TV sound into the Sonos ecosystem.

I have a playbar in my master bedroom and every morning I play the TV sound in my master bath as I move back and forth getting ready.

I wish i had something in my living room that would allow me to play the sound from sports on TV into my backyard. I may eventually get a playbase, but am having a hard time justifying the $700 cost.

I value the ability to port sound where ever in the house I happen to be.