Sky Q Airplay/Bluetooth with Sonos

• 17 June 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Sorry if this has already been discussed, just thought I would share my experience with the new Sky Q boxes and Sonos for anyone looking for Airplay/bluetooth support for their Sonos system, or are considering upgrading to Sky Q but haven't yet.

As the new Sky Q boxes come equipped with AirPlay support (and Bluetooth), I have 3 Sky boxes attached to TV's around the house which are linked to two PlayBars and a Play:5.
This adds seamless airplay/bluetooth support to your entire Sonos system from any sky box, I can use my original phone music player or even youtube audio and not have to use the Sonos controller. This also turns your TV screen into a nice music visual if using airplay.

Other benefits are the full HD/4K aspect, meaning better use of your home theatre set up using DD sound. Previously only available by additional subscription on Sky+.

For me these benefits alone for my sonos system are worth the upgrade to Sky Q, there are also many more improvements on the Sky box not linked to Sonos. Fluid watching, multiple recording, extensive music selection, VEVO channel...

Has anyone else recently upgraded to Sky Q and found it to be massively beneficial if you have a Sonos system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I'm already paying 90 quid a month to Sky now, I struggle to believe that SkyQ won't be more expensive, so no, I haven't upgraded. I don't have any Playbars either so wouldn't benefit from that side of it.
I have SkyQ and agree it is a great way to add airplay to the Sonos system. I am also planning to use it to connect my record turntable via a pre-amp with Bluetooth output.