Siri Voice Control

Userlevel 3
Please allow Siri to control Sonos for iPhone/iPad devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

What an excellent idea
Brilliant
Apple will need to open the API up for this first.
Homekit integration? Siri would be awesome my friends echo makes sonos feel like a record player.
Yes please, Sonos!
This would be awesome... +1 from me 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't see it happening. However, the revelation that the new Play:5 speaker has built in microphones opens up the question on if Sonos is planning some type of voice control of speakers (and on-speaker voice control seems a lot more useful then on-phone voice control...if I have my phone up I may as well just use the Sonos app).
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
if I have my phone up I may as well just use the Sonos app).But you don't need to have your phone "up" now. With the latest iPhones, "Hey Siri" is always on. I can ask Siri how the weather is tomorrow from across the room now, or to do any number of features. And if you don't have the 6S or 6S+, it still works on older models if the phone is plugged in. Makes perfect sense to me. "Hey Siri, play some Beatles music in the living room."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well I won't be keeping hey Siri on as my battery already won't last the day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Perhaps people want Siri to choose what to listen to!
Badge
Yes please, apple home kit it. I'd happily update my bridge if required (as i'm having to do with my philips hue).
This is the one thing that keeps Sonos from being a 10 out of 10.
Userlevel 2
Is this really not a thing? Echo now works with Sonos. Time to jump ship and use Echo with Sonos? Or just get echo?
Siri was just recently released to developers, so hopefully soon this will happen...
Badge
Please allow Siri to control Sonos for iPhone/iPad devices.

Or Alexa for the amazon echo
Badge
Homekit integration? Siri would be awesome my friends echo makes sonos feel like a record player.

Please Sonos and Apple. Leverage Siri 3rd party support to keep Sonos relevant. I've been using Sonos happily for years. I want to add a playbar and a 3 but I'm holding off until this gets done. This is about Siri without usiing another device. To control music, set a timer while your cooking, etc. Think about it, how do you do any of that when you are up to your elbows in raw chicken?

I was early to Sonos and love having the best tech. Sonos is still great but daves1186 nailed it. No voice control makes it feel like last years cool tech
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos CEO a few months back has announced that the company is seeing voice control as integral in their current and future plans. We know they have made changes to their technical development teams by letting people go and hiring others with relevant experience.

We don't know, as yet, which way Sonos will go and it will probably be quite a few months before we do and certainly before you can voice control Sonos whilst elbow deep in a chicken (That's illegal in most countries by the way).
If Sonos simply added Apple HomeKit support, all of this would "just work." Come on, Sonos, how about it?
If Sonos simply added Apple HomeKit support, all of this would "just work." Come on, Sonos, how about it?

First, anything from Apple is going to be problematic, due to Apple's propensity for keeping things highly proprietary. Sonos would be better off going with Amazon Voice Services (Alexa is well documented to be far "smarter" than Siri), or waiting for Google's service.

Whichever they choose, software development projects of this scope take many months and millions of dollars to roll out; "simply added" simply isn't realistic. I've been training all week at a very well know company in Silicon Valley, on their BI product. It's been out for at least a year, but still requires a good bit of "under the covers" tweaking of JSON to do the hard stuff. The product VP told me it would be another year before most of that would be included in their UI. Not uncommon at all, even $multi-billion companies take years to build software that is "simple".
Badge +2
Now that Apple have announced access to Siri API's to 3rd parties in IOS10 hopefully Sonos can fully integrate the app with Siri. That would be ace come on Sonos !
Userlevel 2
Badge
Why would Sonos build an interface into Siri instead of Alexa or Google?

Maybe they should do all 3 and then whatever comes next?

The answer is that would be a huge cost and take a long time. Sonos are a speaker company. There ethos has been make a great product and provide an interface for others to use if they wish. I don't see any reason why that should change with VR.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why would Sonos build an interface into Siri instead of Alexa or Google?

Maybe they should do all 3 and then whatever comes next?

The answer is that would be a huge cost and take a long time. Sonos are a speaker company. There ethos has been make a great product and provide an interface for others to use if they wish. I don't see any reason why that should change with VR.

Their CEO (Sonos) has stated that Voice Control is a major goal alongside concentration on streaming music services. So we know that Sonos will be ensuring there is some form of voice control but whether they jump into bed with Amazon, Google or Apple or AN Other is a matter for endless speculation
So maybe just me this morning.... after a system update. I now have sonos control on my Apple Watch. So i was joking with the wife about control via siri. Been talking about it daily, since most of our home is homekit enabled. Well I said "Hey siri please skip" ..... It skipped the song on my sonos system. After which I haven't been able to duplicate success. Appears though SIRI and APPLE totally recongnize the sonos ecosyestem in my home as of this morning. :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The latest update which included lock screen control for iOS devices also meant that, apparently, this would allow control via the App Watch - I guess basic volume, Stop Start and skip. Sonos did mention this in a thread and they said it was as a consequence of the iPhone/iPad Lock screen work rather than any formal Apple Watch integration for the Sonos app.

Can't comment on your Siri being able to skip the track - probably just some glitch or maybe Siri is becoming sentient?!
Unforeseen consequence that betters the ecosystem of tech in my home. The Apple Watch mirrors the lock screen phone update. So no longer using my paid $3 sonosbit app. But in addition Siri knows apple is playing music thru my sonos system. So saying skip track it thinks it's just skipping a song as normal.