Single Sonos Outdoor Speaker ?

• 29 June 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi has anyone installed a single outdoor speaker ? if so does it do the job performance and sound quality. I have a small (condo) balcony i figure a single speaker should do the job. Too bad speakers are sold in pairs, but that's another discussion. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

There are some makes that sell a single unit outdoor speaker, that has both channels fed to it. One of those ought to work well enough for you.
Alternatively, if the balcony has a power supply on the wall shared with the room, and a place to keep the play 1 out of direct weather, that may suffice. Particularly if you can cover the 1 with a plastic box when not in use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could use a Connect and an external amplifier that had a Stereo to Mono blend option. That setup lets you buy any single speaker you like.
See this example of a single speaker if you like the looks:
https://www.paradigm.com/en/speakers/rock-monitor-80-sm
Conventional looking ones are also available in the market.
thanks all - does anyone have a setup sonos-amp inside -> wire from telco closet to outside -> one outdoor sonos speaker bolted on the bricks; am trying to be all in Sonos, not that i won the lottery 😉; am just please with the overall solution and am trying not to divert out if possible. Thanks much
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't think that is a common setup as with a Sonos Amp and only one speaker you only get the right or left channel. Using a dual voice coil speaker will get you both channels with just one speaker.
I don't think that is a common setup as with a Sonos Amp and only one speaker you only get the right or left channel. Using a dual voice coil speaker will get you both channels with just one speaker.
As I recall the Sonos Amp has a mono option; won't this give both channels in one speaker of the conventional kind?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If it is I missed it in reading about the Amp, looks like I did as I just found it listed under features on the main Sonos site.

"Speaker output connections: Banana plugs (2) capable of stereo or dual mono sound."
I have a long standing request here to bless Connect Amp with this feature, it is very useful outdoors and it should be possible via a software fix. Sonos isn't listening though.