Single Sonos Five vs two Play 1's review

• 24 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeC5s71aqA4&t=631s

Lot's of you are familiar with Peter's excellent video's. I asked him to do a review of one Five vs Two One's (I'm on his Patreon) because that question is so often asked here and on the Sonos community forum

Really interesting. I'm using one Five in the bedroom since soundstage isn't a concern if you are right in front of it but you notice the lack of soundstage quickly if you aren't in front of it. I also have two HomePods in the bedroom for room filling sound.

Why Sonos doesn't put an RCA jack in the One's I'll never know. They would sell a ton of them as computer speakers.

I always mention that the 3rd Gen 5 is an upgrade even if Sonos downplays it. Better detail and everything is faster and more reliable. Starting and stopping songs Airplay 2, etc.,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Why Sonos doesn't put an RCA jack in the One's I'll never know. They would sell a ton of them as computer speakers.

Because all analog inputs into any Sonos device has to be buffered in order to both digitize the signal, and prepare it for simultaneous play across any/all grouped rooms. It’s what defines Sonos as a speaker system. If they wanted to be a Logitech and make computer speakers, it would need to be a completely separate line, and you would still see complaints about why their computer speakers can’t be grouped with all other Sonos speakers, as part of the Sonos ecosystem. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

The Five has an RCA jack. So does the Amp etc. 

And none of them work as computer speakers, without the delay involved.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Completely wrong.  I use a single 5 to my Mac via RCA.  No issues.  Same with turntable and many other devices. Many, many, people do this with Fives and computers of all typesso have no idea where you are getting the idea they lag.

If what you claim were true the RCA wouldn’t be usable for anything.  Perhaps you should tell Sonos this doesn’t work since they provide instructions for exactly this use case. 

There IS a lag, but I don't find it to be intrusive for lip sync, which would be the main issue in using a line in jack blessed 1 pair, that would have moved the unit from good to great.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

So now you are splitting hairs.  Your entire premise is wrong.  There are plenty of multiplayer-room DSP’ed speakers that have RCA jacks.  But thanks for trolling what is supposed to be a useful thread for others.  Others who know what they are talking about.

Trolling?! Where is the nearest mirror?