Should new (currently not existing) devices be supported by the Legacy version of the SONOS system?

• 28 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Who should be making the decision what version of the SONOS system customers can use: the customers or SONOS ?

By making new devices still compatible with the Legacy version (but of course also with the ‘current’ version) of the SONOS system, that decision lies entirely with the customers: depending on their situation, they can decide to replace old systems by new (and use the current version of SONOS) or to add new systems to their Legacy installed base (using the Legacy version of SONOS).

So let’s start spreading the word: we want all new devices supported by the Legacy version of SONOS for quite some time to come !

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey Bart321, it’s a great question and request. I’ll pass along the interest to the team, and if you hadn’t heard, it will be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system.

Ultimately, there’s a problem with trying to run new products withe legacy software.

Let’s pretend that X years from now, Sonos comes out with the Sonos Toaster, which is like a Play:5 in size, but also can make toast.

The legacy software, which may not be able to be updated because it’s already at the size limit of memory for legacy devices, can’t add support for the Sonos Toaster. This product doesn’t exist as far as legacy software is concerned, so a legacy system doesn’t know what to do with it. Also, the legacy software might not support the needed drivers for the Toaster’s wireless card which is updated to allow for heat protection so it still functions while toasting. So if you tried to install the legacy software on the Toaster, it might be able to do some things but not others, maybe the wireless card can’t be read, or the device fails to boot entirely because the OS is so old it doesn’t know how to use the CPU. 

Wasn’t this topic fully explained yesterday?  

Explained yes, but I don’t agree with the bottom line - I want to express my feelings in the hope that SONOS might listen and take legacy customers as serious as modern customers.

I think there are 2 things Ryan mentions: new features and new hardware.

I don’t expect my Legacy system to start toasting, so let’s forget about the “new features” problem - I think a lot of customers just want to listen to music and nothing more - if that is the choice they want to make, well, that's their decision, isn’t it ?

About the new hardware: SONOS is driven by Linux, isn’t it ? I know nothing about how exactly SONOS is using Linux, but Linux is certainly capable of using kernel modules to keep kernel size in RAM to a minimum - it’s just a matter of loading the right modules.

The technology to keep older devices still in the loop is available - why not use it ?

Yes, that means I will not be able to use all the exciting new features - but at least that is my decision, not SONOS’

You don’t agree with what the people who designed and built the thing say about their own product? 

Well, that and $3.25 will get you a large regular coffee from Dunkin’.  

Also, why would Sonos cut legacy users off from purchasing future devices if it were at all possible to allow?  It certainly would benefit Sonos for legacy users to keep purchasing future devices, for they only make money from future sales.  Is this really a case of Sonos cutting off their nose to spite your face, or could there actually be a technical reason they cannot make future devices work for a significant portion of their current customer base?