Question

"should I unplug it when not in use ?? "

Hello I just purchased & installed a Play 3 (like it very much) my question: when not i use, is it beneficial to disconnect the power AC ? would that prolong the life of the amp ? The bridge is also "ON" constantly. I prefer not to leave my components on all the time. What is your opinion ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The amplifier in the Sonos Play:3 (and all Sonos components with an amplifier) is turned off after a couple of minutes not playing anything. The power consumption of the Play:3 when in "standby" is very low. The power consumption of the Bridge is even less, since it's just a networking piece and nothing else.

The only thing you're doing if you unplug your Sonos components - especially the Bridge, since the Play:3 uses that to connect to the internet - is delaying how fast you can start listening to music when you want to, since you have to wait for one or both components to start up once you reconnect the power to them.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello,

As MikeV mentioned, the consumption of power when idle is very low. You can see the specifications on this page. The system is designed to always be powered on so you can use it anytime you'd like. 
"Very low"? Relative to what? Modern electronic appliances designed for power efficiency typically consume under 1W when in standby nowadays. Sonos consumption is very high comparatively, especially considering most people will have multiple units. I have five Sonos units, and if I left these on continuously then this would increase my overall yearly electricity consumption in the house by around 20% and would cost around £30 (US$50) per year extra.

Everybody has to make their own decision as to whether the costs (including the environmental impact) are worth it. Don't be fooled into thinking the consumption is so low it's not worth considering.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Paul,

Thank you for expanding more on this topic. There are others who feel the same as you and we have currently opened an "Idea Thread" about this topic. You can also add your vote to this idea so that our developers see there is more of a want and need for this type of option to be implemented. 

Cheers.
Hello Paul,

Thank you for expanding more on this topic. There are others who feel the same as you and we have currently opened an "Idea Thread" about this topic. You can also add your vote to this idea so that our developers see there is more of a want and need for this type of option to be implemented. 

Cheers.

I am more concerned about the life span of the unit, rather than the itsie bitsie power it draws while left on when not in use for certain periods of time !!
Dan  
 "love my Play:3
I have to agree--I am worried about the life of the unit...I got my SONOS system a month or so ago and in the first week of just leaving ALL speakers plugged up and on--one of the speakers just stopped working in the middle of playing music--I read online that the speaker could have overheated and so I unplugged it and left it unplugged for a couple of hours and it worked again...so ever since then I unplug all speakers before I leave the office.  Because these things are way to expensive to have to replace.
I have to agree--I am worried about the life of the unit...I got my SONOS system a month or so ago and in the first week of just leaving ALL speakers plugged up and on--one of the speakers just stopped working in the middle of playing music--I read online that the speaker could have overheated and so I unplugged it and left it unplugged for a couple of hours and it worked again...so ever since then I unplug all speakers before I leave the office.  
The life of the unit is affected far greater by the on/off cycle than it is by running constantly. This is due to the heating/ cooling expansion/contraction cycle and what that does to electronic circuits.
Hello,

... the consumption of power when idle is very low. ...

OMG. Really, VERY LOW!?!? Typical American standards. 40W for 8-10 spekers 24h is just wasting resources ...
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I always switch my fridge and freezer off when I don't need anything from them. And my TV, PVR, satellite box, cooker, NAS, router, clocks, Hue lights, ...
Of course you don't. You also leave your car engine running while you're shopping so the A/C keeps the car nice and cold.

And to answer your "questions":
- Fridge and freezer are A+++
- TV, PVR are on auto-stand-by-off switches and waste >0.7W while I'm not watching. Press once on remote and the switch turns them on again.
- NAS drives stop spinning after 20min, and the NAS itself switches to stand-by (wake on LAN) after 2h
- Router/WLAN switch to ECO mode
i found that when i unplugged my speakers for the first time over night when i plugged them back in it could not fin the left speaker and it took me 2hr 30mins to get them both reconnected to my wifi. i would recommend leaving them plugged in and i have not unplugged mine since.