Should I add more speakers for ambient sound for my music.

• 21 October 2021
  • 4 replies

I have two systems set up. One for home theater. This consist of Beam 2, Sonos sub, and two Sonos Ones for rear. Perfect…

For music I have the Sonos Amp connected to two Klipsch floor speakers and two Bose shelf speakers, with a Klipsch sub. Very nice, I usually set the music system to full, however I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to add two more Sonos Ones for the ambient effect as well. This new system of music is meant to replace my old system where I enjoyed full surround sound for my music. Music matter a lot to me. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7

It depends on your room size and speaker setup. How large is your room? Where are the speakers currently placed? Where would you place the two Ones in relation to your other speakers?

What are your music sources? Do you just listen to music in stereo or do you listen to music in surround formats like quad (4.0), 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos?

Since you have a 5.1 Dolby Atmos system with the Beam, Sub, and two Ones, you might consider listening to music in multichannel surround sound with your home theater setup rather than adding the two Ones to the Amp setup. I’ve just recently discovered 5.1 surround music and Dolby Atmos music and it is phenomenal. It will completely change the way you listen to music.

I have two systems set up. One for home theater. This consist of Beam 2, Sonos sub, and two Sonos Ones for rear. Perfect…

For music I have the Sonos Amp connected to two Klipsch floor speakers and two Bose shelf speakers, with a Klipsch sub. Very nice, I usually set the music system to full, however I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to add two more Sonos Ones for the ambient effect as well. This new system of music is meant to replace my old system where I enjoyed full surround sound for my music. Music matter a lot to me. 

‘surround sound’ doesn’t normally refer specifically to the placement of your speakers, but additional audio channels, almost always for a home theatre setting.  What you described is basically getting stereo audio from two pairs of speakers in the front, and two in the back?  Do you have 1 or two Sonos amps used for music setup?

I do agree that it’s hard to determine whether it makes sense to add more speakers without knowing more about your space.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos isn’t your best choice for surround sound as the options are very limited compared to a high end AVR setup. I did feed my AVR from a Sonos Connect (port now) and then used the AVR functions to pick the surround environment to listen to.

With my AVRs and their speakers long gone I find Sonos in “full” mode for music sounds pretty decent when balanced carefully. No real comparison to what the AVR would do of course but good enough for me and the much less complex setup and usage really sold me on Sonos.

Thank you for these answers! I am aware that Sonos is not going to really replace what I once had. I use to use a Yamaha DSP system that used three amps with different pairs of speakers connected to create all kinds of hall, concert, studio, and church effects. It was incredible. It also took days to set up and used miles of wires. It is quite old now. I am trying to move into the modern era and create a system for music that uses less and it more up to date. My room is fairly large, and at the moment the main wired speakers are in front, the sub off to the side, and the rear bookshelf speakers are in back with the Sonos Ones. I have a nice app on my computer that adds some nice hall effects, and I prefer to play my own music. The Dolby music I have found does not have any music that I care for. 

I was wondering given that the Amp is playing stereo to all the wired speakers, if adding a couple or one ambient speaker might lend to the effect.