Setting up Sonos in another location temporarily

• 5 December 2018
  • 4 replies

I'd like to take two of my old Play:5s to a Christmas party at a local church. How do I set them up at the different location and play music from Amazon (usually we start it with Alexa, but maybe I'd try using the app since I don't think I can use my Alexa with Sonos at the party), but then after the party bring them back home and have them work like normal?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Keep in mind folks with access to the church WiFi will also have access/control for the Sonos you hook up there. Might be an issue if you have some pranksters in the audience.

I haven't done Windows for years but they used to have something called "Internet Connection Sharing" that would let you hook your laptop to the church WiFi and then plug the Sonos into the Ethernet jack giving you your needed connection as well as locking out the pranksters. You'd need to takl to a windows guy for more/current information.
Thank you, controlav. Unfortunately I won't be able to access an ethernet connection at the church. I will need to use their WiFi. I do have the system configured to use WiFi at home.

Configure the new WiFi SSID/password before you leave home. If you don't have access to Ethernet at the church, you won't be able to change it there. Of course this will make your home Sonos useless until you configure it back. You could do that by connecting one of the remaining units to the router after you unplug the church going units.
Thank you, controlav. Unfortunately I won't be able to access an ethernet connection at the church. I will need to use their WiFi. I do have the system configured to use WiFi at home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Keep things simple and wire one of the Sonos speakers via an ethernet cable to the church network. It will speak wirelessly to the others. If you have the system configured to use WiFi at home then you might have to do more work - as I have always used a Boost or Bridge (ie SonosNet) I can't give any more detail as to that.