Answered

Set up of Sonos Move

• 22 November 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to set up Sonos Move and I can’t get past the wireless set up. The button at the bottom that says “go to accessory setup” does work. I tried to go to Apple Home and add and it’s not showing up  

icon

Best answer by RH11716 25 November 2020, 23:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

I have the exact same issue.  System works and recognizes all my other Sonos products and I can control them with the app without issue.  However, when I try to set up my new Move, I can get to the same screen you show above, but then cannot advance to “Go to accessory setup” next step.  Hope someone out there has a fix.

Userlevel 1

Same. So frustrating. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Joeuf2000.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Here are some steps you can try to set up the Sonos Move.

Restart your Move

Take Move off the charging base, and then hold down the Power button until Move turns off and a chime is played. After a few seconds, place Move back on the charging base and then try setting up Move again.

Reposition your Move

Temporarily bring your Move closer to your WiFi router. If your speaker is able to connect in this new location, the original location may be too far from the router to maintain a stable connection in WiFi mode. If that’s the case, you’ll need to increase the range of your WiFi network.

You’ll still be able to use Bluetooth mode to play music on Move in that location. Check our article about using Bluetooth on Move for more information.

Note that your Sonos Move needs to be in range of your Wi-Fi network even if it’s placed near another Sonos product. The Move can connect to your router’s Wi-Fi network but not the separate wireless network created by a wired Sonos product.

Try another mobile device

Open the Sonos app on another mobile device, and then try setting up Move again. Once setup is complete, you’ll still be able to use the original mobile device to control Move after connecting it to the existing system.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi @Mark P -

I’m having the same issues, and this isn’t resolved.The reply marked as “answer” is really just somebody else saying that they have the same problem.

Any updates - I’m not enjoying my $400 MSRP paperweight. ;)

“The Move can connect to your router’s Wi-Fi network but not the separate wireless network created by a wired Sonos product.”

What exactly does this mean? 

I have an older Sonos Connect and two Ones and a sub - could it be that this system is all running on the “separate wireless network” and that’s why I can’t join my Move to it?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

“The Move can connect to your router’s Wi-Fi network but not the separate wireless network created by a wired Sonos product.”

What exactly does this mean? 

I have an older Sonos Connect and two Ones and a sub - could it be that this system is all running on the “separate wireless network” and that’s why I can’t join my Move to it?

I have this issue as well.

Mark P says:

Restart your Move

“Take Move off the charging base, and then hold down the Power button until Move turns off and a chime is played. After a few seconds, place Move back on the charging base and then try setting up Move again.”

the only way I can get any chime to play is not through the Power button but pressing the join button while unit is on (button shown in the instruction sheet).  Chime sounds, but it still doesn’t join. 

What’s the JOIN BUTTON for and EXACTLY when do you press it?

My son helped me figure this out, thought I would share with group.  If you are using iOS 14, if you get this problem go into iPhone Settings App, then WiFi.  You should see a SONOS Move device and connect it to your WiFi network there.  That links the Move to your WiFi.

Once that is set up, repeat the Move setup process in the Sonos app, and you should now be able to get it set up. 

How I solved this after a lot of frustration: My router has both 2G and 5G and was initially trying to get Move on network with the generic “auto select band network speed” name. I switched to the direct 2G speed and it worked… or maybe it was dumb luck. Note: The Sonos 1 app does not goe directly to add accessory when using iOS device, you have to do that manually as. Noted above.

My son helped me figure this out, thought I would share with group.  If you are using iOS 14, if you get this problem go into iPhone Settings App, then WiFi.  You should see a SONOS Move device and connect it to your WiFi network there.  That links the Move to your WiFi.

Once that is set up, repeat the Move setup process in the Sonos app, and you should now be able to get it set up. 

Thank you and your son. That worked!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thank you and your son. That worked!

Can I add my thx as well. A big help, thank you both.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Extra feedback on Move.

It arrived today, Sunday 29/11/2020. Installed like a dream via the Sonos 2 iOS app. Took all of 10 minutes and most of that was unpacking! I needed a software update to use Move besides this, everything was installed and working very quickly. I just need some fine weather so I can try Move out in the garden. No issues/problems.  Thank you for your feedback and comments on here, it does help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Try the following...

Thanks for the help here, especially Lovetoflyfish which let me reset and then re-register my Move. The problem I experienced was that it set up OK the first time but when I switched to Bluetooth and back to WiFi I was no longer able to see it in the S1 app. It was still on the wifi network because I could press the Play button on the top and continue to play from Spotify, but I couldn’t see it in the app to set up a new playlist or change source.

Has anyone else had problems moving between WiFi and Bluetooth?

Badge

the ios wifi accessory setup on its own appears to do something?  but sonos device setup still refuses to get past the accessory setup page.  the button does nothing.  i tried it right next to the router, right next to where my machine is on the same 2.4 or 5GHz network, in 2 other places.  the button does nothing

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Have you previously paired your Move via Bluetooth? 

Are you on a "Guest" network? 

And if you have other Sonos speakers, are any on "Guest" or is at least one networked so all (other than the Move) are on their own SonosNet?

Keep a little distance (4'+) from the router, BTW.

Badge

ok.  it appears 5GHz is the problem.  WHY sonos hasn’t figured this out, and reports to you when you are on different networks is beyond me.  After turning off 5GHz (AC) on my router, the setup works better.  but i have S1 required devices on my sonos network, so i have that other problem where the app just wants to upgrade to S2 but i can’t.  

anyway, for all of you having trouble, it might be you have to turn off 5Ghz, setup the sonos device, then you can probably turn 5Ghz back on.  

@Lovetoflyfish no, i hadn’t previously paired to move via bluetooth.  the sonos docs say this isn’t possible without setting it up via wifi first (which is inane).

Badge

FYI all.  a sonos support chat revealed there is an ios 14.2 bug that prevents the accessory setup from working.  i accomplished it from my macbook where the device popped up in… Airport Utility of all places. that got the Move on my wifi, then i went through the normal sonos add Product workflow in the Sonos app to get it registered and in the Sonos network.

You can supposedly do the accessory setup via an android phone as well, then return to the Sonos app in ios to complete setup, like i did with my macbook and iphone.