Seriously disappointed (Play 5 fault outside of warranty)

I've seen some other posts here about the Play 5 no longer turning on and I'm in the same situation now. The light doesn't turn on and the unit won't respond, even when attempting a factory reset. It seems like a common fault, judging by a quick Google search. So I checked the paperwork and found that I bought it 2 years and 6 months ago (almost to the day) which means the warranty expired 6 months ago. In that time, I've bought two Play 1s and I've been considering a Playbar but after speaking to Sonos Support, I'm seriously considering selling them all and buying a different system!

So I rang support and was told in no uncertain terms that I'd have to pay for a replacement, even though this seemed like a common fault according to this forum and others. £99 for a replacement! Some of the other posts have mentioned that their units were faulty outside the warranty but they had replacements sent for free! Anybody know why others have been looked after in this way but I have to fork out?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You could look into UK sale of goods act.
It is all about what the average joe would expect something to last regarding a manufacturing fault, upto 6years. It has nothing to do with value of item either. Although after a year, I think its upto you to prove its a manufacturing fault.
I would expect a play unit to last 5years.
It would be easier to try the store you bought it from, that's where your contract lies with as well. See if they would give discount off a replacement.
Sometimes things fail, and sometimes through no fault of the manufacturer. Search for any device, any appliance that failed and you'll see a list there also. Bet your vehicle has been back to the shop for a repair. Thinking about trading it?

People aren't going to complain when their stuff keeps working. I lost a Connect a few years ago. It was years out of warranty, but Sonos offered me a discounted replacement. It was a refurbished unit, but it came warranted so what did I care? Be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.
People aren't going to complain when their stuff keeps working. I lost a Connect a few years ago. It was years out of warranty, but Sonos offered me a discounted replacement. It was a refurbished unit, but it came warranted so what did I care? Be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.

I understand what you're saying and I agree, you'll always hear the negatives and very rarely the positives on the internet. My concerns are that I'm shocked that it hasn't lasted longer than 2.5 years, it seems to have happened to a number of other people which suggests it's a common fault and finally, that others have had free replacements outside of their warranty.

Finally, I was polite, courteous and "nice" to the customer service rep that I spoke to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If its £99 for replacement with 1yrs warranty, delivered, then I would take that.
I had a Samsung tv that lastest 18months. A sony now hangs in its place, I won't buy another Samsung tv.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If its £99 for replacement with 1yrs warranty, delivered, then I would take that.
I had a Samsung tv that lastest 18months. A sony now hangs in its place, I won't buy another Samsung tv.

I concur. It's quite a generous offer in the absence of any evidence of a manufacturing fault.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I've seen some other posts here about the Play 5 no longer turning on and I'm in the same situation now. The light doesn't turn on and the unit won't respond, even when attempting a factory reset. It seems like a common fault, judging by a quick Google search. So I checked the paperwork and found that I bought it 2 years and 6 months ago (almost to the day) which means the warranty expired 6 months ago. In that time, I've bought two Play 1s and I've been considering a Playbar but after speaking to Sonos Support, I'm seriously considering selling them all and buying a different system!

So I rang support and was told in no uncertain terms that I'd have to pay for a replacement, even though this seemed like a common fault according to this forum and others. £99 for a replacement! Some of the other posts have mentioned that their units were faulty outside the warranty but they had replacements sent for free! Anybody know why others have been looked after in this way but I have to fork out?

If you are in the UK you do have rcourse to remedy. The offer of £99 for another unit is not to be sniffed at and is something I would grab before the offer disappeared.
I could explian in great detail what remedy you have, but Sonos's offer is very good and you would not better it through other channels.

What it does display is Sonos valuing a two year old Play 5 at £99 which is either heinous loss of value, depending upon your point of view, or a generous bargain offer. Remember, substitutes attract the same consumer protection in the UK. Irrespective of warranty, it should last the same as a new purchase as Sonos have charged you a replacement price.
In the UK you do have a serious argument to say that such a device should not fail at such a young age but you would have to go back to the retailer it was bought from to argue the point I think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe beyond 2 years the onus is on the purchaser to prove there is a manufacturing or design defect. Unless there is evidence already in the wild, and I don't believe there is, then this would mean opening the unit. And unless you're an expert that would be a major mistake as Sonos would certainly not offer you a replacement unit for £99 under those circumstances.

Take the offer.
Badge
I as well have had a replacement outside the warranty, Sonos customer service is excellent. I did have to pay for the replacement, and got a credit when they received my return. No shipping charges either. They sent me a shipping label. Very pleased.

Cross
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have 2 of the Play:5 units, which stopped working simultaneously. I also have 3 of the Play:3 units, which continue to work normally. The units were ordered in late 2012, so I have had 3 or 4 years use. I will not comment on my feelings, until I have spoken to Sonos support, who I'm sure will be very supportive.
It just happened to me!

[b]Play 5 Gen 1 defective after 2 years[/b]
9 minutes ago Wireless speakers 1 reply 6 Views
Yan
Yan Novice 0 replies
Just wondering if other people has the same issue as me out there. This will result in a replacement (RMA as Sonos calls it), at my charge (over $300) as the warranty is out.

I own 2 play 5 purchased at a different time. The oldest (2 years old) stopped working without any reasons. Once plugged in, no light, no boot, nothing. The solid light came one day, stayed on for a couple of hours and disappeared. The blinking white light came on 2 days later, blinked for a couple of hours and disappeared. Since then, the device hasn't been responding, and is impossible to factory reset after Customer Service asked me to. Sonos said they will exchange it but I will be charged $300 for it. Is this real? If I do it, Sonos play 5 Gen 1 would have cost me over $850 and I am not even sure it will work in 2 years.

Anybody had the same experience? I am not sure I will exchange it and just recycle the defective product as I am at a loss anyway. Good that I haven't added the other components as I was supposed to to make the system more complete. So just curious to find out if it happened to others.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This is how Onkyo deal with a dodgy chipset in amps manufactured between 2009 and 2012 by extending the warranty until the end of 2018. http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/customer-service-program-118747.html#! Mine's being picked up tomorrow

On that basis alone you are entitled to return the unit to the point of purchase under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act as Unfit for Purpose and claim a full refund of the asking price. You can point to the fact Onkyo are prepared to repair 9+ year old amplification products free of charge.

Nobody will argue that a high specification piece of HiFi equipment should last less than a decade.

Sonos need to man up, put their hands up to the issue and instigate a repair process just the way Onkyo have as they're a reputable supplier.

This forum, others and the rash of reported Play 5 failures are why I won't touch one.
Badge +1
I’ve just bought a faulty Sonos Connect ZP80. It was advertised as having an error code (4) so I googled I before I bought it. The results of that search seemed to suggest it was repairable so I bought it. I messaged Sonos when I got it and after a couple of hours of diagnostics (unplugging my router) they said they couldn’t update it. They said they would send me a returns note. I said I didn’t mind a repair if they did such a thing as a swap (I thought) was generous. So far so good- or so I thought. When the email came it said the exchange unit would be £249! Bearing in mind a brand new one is £309 I told them no. So I’m stuck with a dead Sonos unit now.
I’ve just bought a faulty Sonos Connect ZP80. It was advertised as having an error code (4) so I googled I before I bought it. The results of that search seemed to suggest it was repairable so I bought it. I messaged Sonos when I got it and after a couple of hours of diagnostics (unplugging my router) they said they couldn’t update it. They said they would send me a returns note. I said I didn’t mind a repair if they did such a thing as a swap (I thought) was generous. So far so good- or so I thought. When the email came it said the exchange unit would be £249! Bearing in mind a brand new one is £309 I told them no. So I’m stuck with a dead Sonos unit now.

Just curious, but how much did the old unit cost you in the first place?
Badge +1
£110 off eBay. There were 22 bids on it so I guess others had the same idea
andylane68,

I always thought that error code 4 was the fact the player just failed to update, but the Sonos Staff obviously realise the unit is faulty and needs repair/replacement, but as you live in the U.K. Sonos usually just go for replacement at a reduced cost but, not worth it in your case.

I will message you something you may want to consider trying.