Sell it ALL !! Sonos is a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

• 9 December 2016
  • 34 replies

Sonos stinks. I am listing all my speakers and everything 'Sonos' on Craigslist.
You cannot get through to customer service, minimum 1 hr hold. MINIMUM.
System often won't play. System drops whilst playing.
Last phone call the rep now says there's too many wifi networks in range! God thing I don't live in the heart of the city or a condominium with more networks.
All the updates, it gets worse.
Imagine spending a few grand and not being able to use it or having it cut out all the time.
Such rubbish. Wish I had never spent the money.
I wanted Bose yet they were not doing the streaming speakers at the time so I bought Sonos. I've seen it continue to go further and further downhill.
What a mess!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Wow, a thread over a year old but you Sonos guys sure pick up on anything negative.

I don't get this statement. You posted on a thread over a year old and surprised that others did the same? And I'm not sure who "Sonos guys" are, but this is a forum on the Sonos website, so I'm not sure why you would be surprised by this either.
Userlevel 2
Badge
i had major issues late last year, constant dropouts, lost speakers etc. Plex server was also playing up. When we moved i decided to invest in a new mesh network (google wifi) instantly my problems vanished. I later switched back to my old router which was a good router at the time (Nighthawk) as a test and the problems returned instantly in the new house.
I was tearing my hair out at the time, it all came about about the time we had alexa installed which probally pushed the router beyond its design with too many devices on the router.
A system that has to synchronise perfectly as many as 30+ speakers has to send timing signals and other info to keep everything together despite varying network conditions, interference etc. The demands are much greater than a single stream. You might have IP addressing issues or interference that simple streaming to a single device can cope with.

I have around 30 friends, colleagues and family with Sonos systems and problems are incredibly rare. If you are willing to work with Sonos Support any problems you have can almost certainly be resolved. Or you can just sell up, it's your call.

This is a stupid comment..... If you are not technical dont talk to me.
Userlevel 7
RastaMob

You're just being obstinate. John B's answer was straight forward and to the point. Maybe you should take a step back and re-read his answer. Have you ever heard of the KISS approach? :?

However, this is a help forum so here's my advice (and it's not technical). Submit a diagnostic via the Sonos app and post the reference ID in this forum. Then call Sonos and give them the reference ID so they can pull your data.

Cheers!
RastaMob

You're just being obstinate. John B's answer was straight forward and to the point. Maybe you should take a step back and re-read his answer. Have you ever heard of the KISS approach? :?

However, this is a help forum so here's my advice (and it's not technical). Submit a diagnostic via the Sonos app and post the reference ID in this forum. Then call Sonos and give them the reference ID so they can pull your data.

Cheers!

I dont get it..... so the fact that he has friends that have this system, and most of them work is a good answer? Thats ridiculous, I build networks for a living, its not my network.... I know proffesional installers that design and install audio video systems, they are bitching about this too..... if there is a work around someone pass it on. Save your silly comments.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Guys lets please leave this people to themselves. There is no explaining or technical knowledge that we can impart on them - they know it all already.
Rastamob,

As a person who installs networks for a living, can you perhaps better describe your issues?

Are you running your equipment on SonosNet? If so, did you choose to keep/remove your WiFi credentials from Advanced Settings in the Sonos App?
Are you using your routers DHCP Reservation Table for Sonos?
What 2.4ghz, 5ghz and SonosNet channels are you using? .. what are the predominant WiFi channels in use by neighbouring properties?
The main Router make and model... other routers/access points etc. How many different subnets, or guest networks, do you have in your property

Switches (managed or unmanaged) , extenders, repeaters and other equipment in use on the LAN etc. etc.

I can think of many more things to add to the list above, but you need to begin with at least some basic network and system information, so that the folk here in the community can understand your core issues.

So far you have told us all very little in your posts, that can allow anyone the opportunity to help out. I also do not understand why you appear not to have previously sought Sonos level 1 or 2 support, following a diagnostic submission, as soon as the issue(s) occur on your network.

You need to impart a lot more information about your setup for others here to begin to try to resolve your problem.
RastaMob

Cheers!

I dont get it..... so the fact that he has friends that have this system, and most of them work is a good answer? Thats ridiculous, I build networks for a living, its not my network.... I know proffesional installers that design and install audio video systems, they are bitching about this too..... if there is a work around someone pass it on. Save your silly comments.....
No all of them work. Sonos is rock solid. Barring the occasional hardware fault, problems are ALWAYS network related. If there is one thing on here that guarantees an obstinate refusal to try a simple solution it's the words 'I'm a network professional'. Put your Sonos on eBay if you can't be bothered to try anything to cure your problems.
Ah, if only I had a fiver for every time I've seen "there's nothing wrong with my network" over the last decade....