Sell it ALL !! Sonos is a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

• 9 December 2016
  • 34 replies

Sonos stinks. I am listing all my speakers and everything 'Sonos' on Craigslist.
You cannot get through to customer service, minimum 1 hr hold. MINIMUM.
System often won't play. System drops whilst playing.
Last phone call the rep now says there's too many wifi networks in range! God thing I don't live in the heart of the city or a condominium with more networks.
All the updates, it gets worse.
Imagine spending a few grand and not being able to use it or having it cut out all the time.
Such rubbish. Wish I had never spent the money.
I wanted Bose yet they were not doing the streaming speakers at the time so I bought Sonos. I've seen it continue to go further and further downhill.
What a mess!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Could you kindly post a link link to your Craigslist listing? I need a couple more units, because Sonos works flawlessly for me.
If you see an Amazon review of any Sonos unit, there will always be a few that speak like the OP; one reason for that probably is that in some homes it takes a little effort to get running. In my book, that is a small price to pay for the many brilliant features of the system, in that small minority of cases.

On the other hand, there are ten times - at least - as many 5 star reviews that are from a system that is working as it usually does, out of the box.

Sonos does need a foundation of a stable Home Wifi to work; but so does every other wireless streaming solution.
Sure. Don't hold your breath. I am very level headed and patient and can tolerate much but it become far too problematic. All of it for sale with original boxes CDs etc. Good luck.
To Kumar, it worked very well the first couple years. Though it's declined further and further. You might want to look further on the web too as there are just as many bad reviews.
So you are going to sell it on Craigslist, but won't put a link on the biggest Sonos enthusiast site there is? Must not want to sell it very much. Could you at least PM it to me?
Sure, will be putting it together and photos tomorrow. PM being?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi SHGDTD, I know it can be frustrating when things aren't working. Sonos can be a lot of fun, as you know, so when it doesn't work it makes it even that much worse.

The team here would love to help get your system sorted if you'd like to work with us. One of the team is going to be emailing you shortly to see if you'd like a hand. We'd be happy to help.

Wireless issues can be a bear sometimes, but we're usually pretty good at sorting them out, it just takes a bit more troubleshooting sometimes.

I hope you're on board with getting this up and running, but if you decide you'd like to look elsewhere we sincerely hope you're happy wherever you land.
Private message.

Though I'd rather help you get it going. A Sonos system that is increasingly unreliable is almost certainly due to network problems. If the reliability problems coincide with updates, the probability goes towards 100%, with IP conflicts being the most probable cause. First, check your router for any firmware updates. Then you need to refresh the IP adresses in all your network devices. Reboot the following in order:

Modem
Router
Switches/Hubs
Wired Sonos players
Wireless Sonos players
Computers/Printers
All other devices - Phones, Tablets, etc.

Let each one come up before moving to the next. Note you can eliminate IP conflict problems by reserving IP by MAC address in your router setup, in your case it seems your router is sketchy, so I'd say this step is mandatory. See your router manual for details.
To Kumar, it worked very well the first couple years. Though it's declined further and further. You might want to look further on the web too as there are just as many bad reviews.
I bought my first Sonos units in 2011, and the last addition to a 5 zone system was two years ago this month. Occasional glitches have been fixed via help from folks here, or from Sonos Support. I therefore see no need to look further on the web. Could it be that your system declined because you let it do so?
To the OP. Your frustration is understandable because of the problems you are having. But the tech hasn't changed at all, what has changed is something in your local network environment. It is almost certainly resolvable so I'd urge you to give Ryan's suggestion a go.
Badge +2
I think the fact that you rarely see used sonos products for sale speaks volumes. I know there are many other options in the space now, but sonos is still the best, imo.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sonos stinks. I am listing all my speakers and everything 'Sonos' on Craigslist.
You cannot get through to customer service, minimum 1 hr hold. MINIMUM.
System often won't play. System drops whilst playing.
Last phone call the rep now says there's too many wifi networks in range! God thing I don't live in the heart of the city or a condominium with more networks.
All the updates, it gets worse.
Imagine spending a few grand and not being able to use it or having it cut out all the time.
Such rubbish. Wish I had never spent the money.
I wanted Bose yet they were not doing the streaming speakers at the time so I bought Sonos. I've seen it continue to go further and further downhill.
What a mess!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I couldn't agree more. Same problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You and a guy from year ago - hey where are you putting them up for sale.

You need to diagnose your network. Make everything in your home run better if clean it up.
I did sell everything. Until they fix this app I am not going to deal with Sonos. How can a company with such an amazing speaker and functions have such a terrible app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I did sell everything. Until they fix this app I am not going to deal with Sonos. How can a company with such an amazing speaker and functions have such a terrible app.

Do you think Sonos, or anybody, can make an app that nobody hates?

If you do then you're wrong.
And yet you continue to monitor this board, and only registered today in order to post this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I love the app. I can’t think of what they need to fix.

Any issues with were yours alone and if you didn’t want to deal with network speaker then your choice to sell and go different route. Have no idea why you are here to talk about after the fact.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I think the fact that you rarely see used sonos products for sale speaks volumes. I know there are many other options in the space now, but sonos is still the best, imo. EBay is lttered with them
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
EBay is littered with them. I sold several S5's on it when they introduced the new APP.
EBay is littered with them. I sold several S5's on it when they introduced the new APP.
Do you still have Sonos players, in spite of the hatred?

If so, why? If not, why exactly are you still here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Enjoy Bluetooth and have a good day!
Wow, a thread over a year old but you Sonos guys sure pick up on anything negative. I love the speakers like I said. But for now I will use bluetooth and have a nice day like Chris said.
Can Sonos explain the technical difficulties with this??? Is this a Sonus client sw issue? I was examining the network I am running this on. I dont have any streaming issues on any other devices, including my sons gaming, netflix, etc etc.... Why is there a mid song connection anyway? Dont you set up the session, and start the data stream? Is it a buffering problem??? It seems like its time to nip this one. Its a good product, but seems like its lacking some application->network engineering.....
A system that has to synchronise perfectly as many as 30+ speakers has to send timing signals and other info to keep everything together despite varying network conditions, interference etc. The demands are much greater than a single stream. You might have IP addressing issues or interference that simple streaming to a single device can cope with.

I have around 30 friends, colleagues and family with Sonos systems and problems are incredibly rare. If you are willing to work with Sonos Support any problems you have can almost certainly be resolved. Or you can just sell up, it's your call.