Room Grouping designations part of an alarm...?

• 6 September 2012
  • 21 replies

I'd like to see room groups part of the alarm setting process so my morning alarm plays my favorite radio station in the assigned rooms. In the evening I'll change room assignment and if I forget to set it back the next morning's alarm will not be how I like it. Thanks, I love my Sonos!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Badge
+1 on this request, I posted a similar request on the forums a long time back. We use the alarm on a Play 5 in our bedroom to wake up to a radio station for an hour. About 15 mins after waking up my other half goes for a shower in our en-suite. I have installed a ceiling speaker in there connected to a ZP 100. But have given up to remember to zone group this to our bedroom Play 5 every night before going to bed. It would also be good to have variable timings on the linked 2nd zone as we don't spend the same full hour in the en-suite. I tried setting the en-suite zone with its own separate alarm but that was horrible as it plays out of synch with the Play 5 in the bedroom next door.
I +1'd this also. I'd like all of my Sonos boxes to come on in the morning with my local NPR station. Unfortunately that currently means remembering to re-group them before I go to bed! I've usually watched something on the TV later in the evening and generally separate the Playbar from any grouping when I do that.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This would be an excellent addition to the alarm system and can ensure zones go off as intended despite any changes that may have been made during the day (kids for example) and not put back.
Badge
big +1 on this. Seems like such a logical feature to include in the alarms settings and given Sonos have designed such an intuitive and logical user experience, I'm surprised this isn't already included. Sonos, is this a technical limitation or is it just that it's not considered an important addition for the user?
Userlevel 2
Agreed, this seems the proper function to begin with
I program my Sonos to welcome me home from work with music.

This doesnt work well at the moment for 2 reason.

1 - I dont want to have to remember to re-group them the night before, thus I come home and they're all playing different music and sounds horrid.

2 - I have to set 3 alarms, one for each device, and it clutters up the list of alarms making them all difficult to manage.

Massive plus 1 for this!
Just got a message from Sonos support on Twitter to +1 this to promote this suggestion. I would like to set up my everyday wake up alarm for multiple rooms once and for all, not on a daily basis. Hope you consider this issue witch I guess is a small task to fix but a big advantage for us.
This feature is a must have from my perspective, I run the unsupported sonosweb app on my server which provides this functionality, and when it works it is genius. Unfortunately the app is not supported, suffers from memory leaks and is finicky to set up. An integrated solution would be much appreciated!
This is the feature i miss the most in the Sonos application. It can not be that hard to develop. Thanks!
It must be more difficult than we think... it really is a "no-brainer" to implement.
Is there a Sonos rep around who'd like to comment on this feature request?
Plus 1 on this. As a Sonos user for nearly 5 years now I really can't believe this hasn't been implemented
So strange its the most basic function!  Then i would like to adjust the volume individually between grouped rooms during the wake up but that must be nearly impossible to implement 🙂
I think BOSE already has this feature. Why not SONOS? - falling behind on the basics, messing about with fancy stuff less useful.
Perhaps they have a different vision of where their product exists than BOSE does?

I don't know, but I would prefer that Sonos continues to be their own company, and not just blindly copy something other companies do. If it works within their product vision, great. If not, fine. I don't like clones.
Please add room or zone grouping

It's a basic feature that would have multiple uses.

First it will help with setting alarms to play on specific speakers without having to worry that the speakers are already grouped.

Second, it will make other activities quicker. I would set up an outside group, first floor, second floor and likely kids rooms.

If I can ask for more then it would be HomeKit integration and a new sound bar with HDMI input

Thanks.
Hi,

A lot of people has for a long time complained about grouping speakers in the alarm feature.
Why are Sonos not doing anything? Is it not possible?
I have 4 speakers and I love Sonos but the Alarm feature really sucks. :@
You can manually group your speakers but if you change it doing the day or your Wifi is reset the grouping is gone and you need to regroup the speakers before the Alarm can handle the group.

Come on Sonos! Please fix it or inform why it can’t be fixed.

BR,
Henrik
Please add room grouping for alarms!! Big Plus 1 from me.

Have to admit I just assumed you could do it until I tried.
Plus one on this. Do the developers even read these threads? Why hasn't this been done yet!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Plus one on this. Do the developers even read these threads? Why hasn't this been done yet!

Yes they do
Badge
I'm moving to a new home in a few months and I'm going to take the opportunity to dump my Sonos kit onto ebay over this issue. After that, I won't have to check the groupings are correct when I go to bed and I wont need to sync them in the morning when I forget because I'm moving to a new solution that can do this correctly. 5 years we have been asking for this Sonos and in all that time, you have never provided any explanation as to why you can't do this nor whether a solution is on any road map. Sorry but I've given up.