Answered

Roam, stereo pair away from home.

• 14 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hiya..

I am looking to buy a couple of Roams to use around the house. I was wondering if I would be able to take them away in my motor home and use them straight from my iPhone as a stereo play or would I need to set up some Linda local network? Hoping for the former!

Martin

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 March 2021, 16:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Two Roams can be used as a stereo pair on WiFi but not in Bluetooth mode.

Great thanks for the info - any ideas what would be the best way of achieving that in a motor home with an iPhone.. Introducing some kinda WiFi router?

Martin

A travel router would do it. You might well find that a mobile phone hotspot will do it.  You would need a second device with the Sonos app installed to control the system.

You could test this out right now with any of your speakers. If it works with them it will work with the Roam. You just need to establish whether the mobile network works.

Badge

I was trying to do that (stereo pair off of wifi) kind of sucks it doesn't 

Userlevel 2
Badge

A travel router would do it. You might well find that a mobile phone hotspot will do it.  You would need a second device with the Sonos app installed to control the system.

You could test this out right now with any of your speakers. If it works with them it will work with the Roam. You just need to establish whether the mobile network works.

This!!!!

Sorry wanted to share my recent experience (posting this from another thread). Just took delivery of 2 Roams and alas did not read the fine print about not being able to do stereo pairing with Bluetooth connection (argh!!! why Sonos, why??? UE Booms do this easily) ..

My somewhat convoluted solution has been to use a “universal wireless adapter” connected to the mobile hotspot feature of my phone  + a simple “travel router” which is set to mimic my home wifi SSID and password - the network my “REAL” sonos system is on… 

When out of range of my home WiFi simply plug in the universal wireless adapter and travel router and connect the two with an ethernet cable then on my phone turn on my WiFi hotspot and on my phone disconnect from the fake Home Wifi connection.

This actually works pretty well during my testing but you may have to re-pair the roams every time you connect though, also haven’t tried it over an extended period. Also you have to make sure your phone does not connect to the “travel router” wifi when hotspot is working.

Plan to use a portable battery pack to keep everything powered for beach time goodness…