Answered

Roam power modes documentation?

• 9 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is there a clear explanation of the Roam’s power modes anywhere? I have been experimenting with it and am confused by a few things when it is not being charged.

Firstly there seem to be two ways of it sleeping: sometimes it sleeps about a minute after being full-on and idle, and other times it stays awake for a long time.

Secondly the white light is sometimes on when it is awake, but sometimes the light is not on when it is awake. I can’t tell what the difference between these two modes is, or how it chooses.

The red led does seem to be consistently on when charging, so that one I understand.

There is also some weirdness with UPnP events during the sleep/re-awake cycle but that probably just needs more poking around on my part.

icon

Best answer by James L. 9 August 2021, 16:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5029?language=en_US

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US

Links don’t answer all your questions, and it sounds like you might have some unexpected behavior.

Badge +17

Hey @controlav,

I can answer some of those questions and clarify a bit of the LED behaviour you’ve noted here.

Firstly there seem to be two ways of it sleeping: sometimes it sleeps about a minute after being full-on and idle, and other times it stays awake for a long time.

When Roam is not connected to a charger (USB or Qi) there are two possible idle periods before it will sleep.

1. If Roam was playing something and then paused/stopped, it will enter sleep mode after 30 minutes of not playing audio, being interacted with using the Sonos app, or pushing buttons on the portable player.
  2. If Roam was woken from sleep (foregrounding the Sonos app, pushing power button etc.) but not interacted with (i.e. sent a playback command) it will wait 3 minutes before going back to sleep.

Secondly the white light is sometimes on when it is awake, but sometimes the light is not on when it is awake. I can’t tell what the difference between these two modes is, or how it chooses.

This doesn’t seem right. How are you determining if Roam is awake without the LED being on?

The red led does seem to be consistently on when charging, so that one I understand.

A solid amber light will remain on for approx. 15 seconds when either placing on the wireless charger or connecting a USB-C cable with a sufficient enough current to charge Roam. I believe the amber LED will remain on when charging the Roam from 5% → 30% but should turn off after that.

A flashing amber light while charging could indicate that the battery has reached the the maximum allowed temperature to continue charging and has stopped.

If you’re seeing a constant red light while charging, that’s not expected, and I suggest first checking that the LED is definitely red, and submitting a diagnostic for the folks in customer care to take a look at - or feel free to DM it to me here to take a look at.

I don’t have any answers or insight into the UPnP weirdness you’ve mentioned but I hope my other comments have helped :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When Roam is not connected to a charger (USB or Qi) there are two possible idle periods before it will sleep.

1. If Roam was playing something and then paused/stopped, it will enter sleep mode after 30 minutes of not playing audio, being interacted with using the Sonos app, or pushing buttons on the portable player.
  2. If Roam was woken from sleep (foregrounding the Sonos app, pushing power button etc.) but not interacted with (i.e. sent a playback command) it will wait 3 minutes before going back to sleep.

This doesn’t seem right. How are you determining if Roam is awake without the LED being on?

I don’t have any answers or insight into the UPnP weirdness you’ve mentioned but I hope my other comments have helped :slight_smile:

Fantastic, thank you James. The two sleep modes make perfect sense now.

I determine the Roam is awake without the LED being on by code: I can see it on the network and I can communicate with it via UPnP. (Yes, I am adding support for this to my apps, hence all my experimentation).

The UPnP event weirdness was indeed my own problem: when the Roam is about to sleep it sends a message that I missed: I need to detect that message and Unsubscribe to the events, else they will be sent later when the device wakes up (and that really confused my app, so it turned into a good test case).

(Please ignore my comments about the red led).