Roam not connecting properly, faint and stuttery.

• 2 January 2022
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 7 replies

I just got a Roam, and I’m having issues with the playback from both the system through WiFi and through bluetooth from my phone.

The Sonos app shows that music is playing, but it’s faint and stuttery. Turning it on an off (either to sleep or full off, ) will sometimes fix it, and starting the music stream on one of the other speakers, grouping the roam to that speaker, then putting the Roam to sleep and waking it up, will often fix the issue. The power light will be solid white, but once I attempt to play music it starts flashing slowly between white and orange, which is supposed to indicate diagnostic mode, but even a factory reset and reconnecting the Roam to my system isn’t helping the issue.

I also have yet to get the Roam to do anything more than stutter through bluetooth, and since the factory reset, can’t even get it to re-pair through bluetooth.

I’m hoping there’s a quick fix, but my searches have come across similar issues, but no fixes (though it’s possible I’ve missed something.)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7

A flashing orange and white status light could indicate a fault condition. I would contact Sonos Support:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact?language=en_US

Userlevel 1

A flashing orange and white status light could indicate a fault condition. I would contact Sonos Support:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact?language=en_US

I’ll have to do that, it’s just odd that I can get a solid white light until I try to play music, then it faults out. 

Userlevel 1

Also, finally (randomly,) got the Bluetooth to connect again, and it goes from solid blue when connected, to blue and red, then orange, back and forth as the music stutters through.

Also, finally (randomly,) got the Bluetooth to connect again, and it goes from solid blue when connected, to blue and red, then orange, back and forth as the music stutters through.

Sounds like the device might be in diagnostic mode, where the ‘play/pause’ and ‘volume down’ buttons are pressed/held together for about 10 seconds -  A reboot should revert it back to normal mode🤞.

Maybe just try holding the power button down for about 15+ seconds (whilst off its charger) till the Roam reboots/resets and see if that fixes it - if not I would speak with Sonos Support, as mentioned earlier.

Userlevel 1

I tried that (I saw your an earlier post of yours,) and neither the play and volume down, or the factory reset helped.

I appreciate the suggestions, and will get in touch with Sonos.

Aaaaaargh, I am having *exactly* the same issues. 
I was given a Roam as a christmas present and it’s driving me mental. I’ve not had a day yet where it’s worked properly. 
Today was my best day. I finally managed to get it to run off the WiFi, my AppleMusic was running and Alexa was even playing stuff on demand. It was perfect! 😍

Suddenly, I opened my laptop to do something completely unrelated (using WiFi), and my Roam just died. Back to stuttering when Alexa is speaking, and when music is trying to play, and the light above the Sonas sign slowly flashing orange and white. Even powering up and down, it’s not making any chimes. Now I cannot get it to connect at all. 

Is it meant to be this complicated? 

Suddenly, I opened my laptop to do something completely unrelated (using WiFi), and my Roam just died. Back to stuttering when Alexa is speaking, and when music is trying to play, and the light above the Sonas sign slowly flashing orange and white. Even powering up and down, it’s not making any chimes. Now I cannot get it to connect at all. 

A flashing Amber/White status light can sometimes mean your device is possibly trying to install an update - maybe power off the device fully and then return the item to its charger, let it boot up and check for any updates via the Sonos App.

In rare cases, a flashing orange and white status light can also indicate a fault condition and if the problem persists, I would perhaps submit a Sonos system diagnostic report and post its reference back here and then chat/contact Sonos Customer Care

Userlevel 1

What’s funny, is that everything that people have suggested has worked, but only briefly. The second the Roam is turned off or paused, it goes back to the “fault state” and the “fix” may or may not work again.

Badge

Im in the same boat, In general my roam is working, but it seems much more picky and complicated than a portable speaker should be. I’m having the same problem with the stuttering/hiccupping sound, and trouble connecting to bluetooth. Bluetooth I got to work better after making my phone forget the device, and reconnecting.

Regarding the problem you are having, I just finished resetting the device and trying it on another network. After “successful” set up I was getting music on 2 other sonos speakers, but the roam was flickering and flashing the orange light, then after a minute or two, it started working, I’m wondering if this is the truetune setting up. I know this sounds like stupid advice, but maybe give it 5 minutes?

Userlevel 1

I thought it might be True Tune as well, so I tried it with True Tune on, and also disabled and didn’t have any better luck. I may try it again, giving it more time (as you suggest,) just to have that bit of trouble shooting out of the way, but if that’s going to be the issue over and over, the Roam is basically going to be useless to me.

Userlevel 1

A quick call (9 minutes, with a brief hold,) with customer support later, and they’re replacing the unit for a hardware issue.

Thanks for the help troubleshooting everyone! I always feel better having tried to do as much as possible before my CS calls.

Userlevel 1

Aaaaaargh, I am having *exactly* the same issues. 
I was given a Roam as a christmas present and it’s driving me mental. I’ve not had a day yet where it’s worked properly. 
Today was my best day. I finally managed to get it to run off the WiFi, my AppleMusic was running and Alexa was even playing stuff on demand. It was perfect! 😍

Give them a call, it seems like you may have the exact issue I have.

Good Luck!

A quick call (9 minutes, with a brief hold,) with customer support later, and they’re replacing the unit for a hardware issue.

Thanks for the help troubleshooting everyone! I always feel better having tried to do as much as possible before my CS calls.

The Roam I just got is doing the exact same thing as yours. Contacted Sonos. They are saying it’s faulty like yours but can’t confirm for me that it will be replaced with a new unit and not a refurbished unit. Did anyone confirm with you whether or not your replacement will be brand new or refurbished?

Speaking personally, I prefer “refurbished”, as I know that the quality will be as new, and that it will be tested six ways from Sunday, certainly moreso that the “newly manufactured” ones are.

Speaking personally, I prefer “refurbished”, as I know that the quality will be as new, and that it will be tested six ways from Sunday, certainly moreso that the “newly manufactured” ones are.

I totally get that logic and would understand that if someone hadn’t just paid full price for what should be a working speaker. Maybe if they offer some sort of refund with a refurb, I will do that. If they don’t, they’re basically taking people’s $$.

Just a followup, the replacement unit was brand new. That said, there was a possibility that I could have gotten a refurbished one depending on stock. They said to call back if that happened. The new one seems to be working well. I’ll be back if the new one starts exhibiting the same issues lol

Had the exact same issue. Called Sonos to get a replacement.