Roam is always turning itself on and the battery is always dead making the roam unusable

• 25 April 2021
  • 96 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I hope an update is coming because I’m over going to use my roam and it’s dead. Out of the five times I’ve wanted to use it I have only been able to use it once. I have to leave it on the charger when not in use otherwise it will be dead when I go to use it. When it’s on the charger and it gets to 100% there is no way to turn it off. If I hold the power button for five seconds it turns off but within a few seconds it turns itself back on again. If they don’t say a fix is coming within a week sadly it’s going back.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

Userlevel 7

It’s best to keep the Roam on its charger when not in use so it will always be charged when you need it. Keeping the Roam on its charger after it is fully charged will not degrade the battery.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It’s best to keep the Roam on its charger when not in use so it will always be charged when you need it. Keeping the Roam on its charger after it is fully charged will not degrade the battery.

Given it's supposed to be a battery powered speaker with a declared life of 10 days or so when not in use, surely you accept the absurdity of that ‘advice’?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@sdtheclub 

That the roam turns on again with fully charged battery if you have turned it off, only happens when it‘s connected to a QI charger. The reasons are how QI charging works and the fact, that roam always turns on if it‘s connected to a power supply. 
If connected to power using the usb c cable roam can be turned off completely even the battery is charged fully. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Got up this morning and the red light was flashing. The roam was completely dead and it was on the wireless charger since yesterday. The charger is working so for whatever reason the roam will no longer charge from it. I plugged the roam in using the supplied charging cable a few hours ago and I’m now once again waiting for it to charge back up. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Given it's supposed to be a battery powered speaker with a declared life of 10 days or so when not in use, surely you accept the absurdity of that ‘advice’?

My testing shows maybe 4 or 5 days (not 10), when the Roam is in sleep mode.   Is anyone out there getting 10 days of battery life, with Roam unused, but in Sleep mode?

Got up this morning and the red light was flashing. The roam was completely dead and it was on the wireless charger since yesterday. The charger is working so for whatever reason the roam will no longer charge from it. I plugged the roam in using the supplied charging cable a few hours ago and I’m now once again waiting for it to charge back up. 

Just curious, is it a ‘certified’ Qi charger? 
https://www.howtogeek.com/425885/what-is-a-qi-certified-wireless-charger/

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’ve had similar experience with a qi charger. Personally I’ve taken the qi charger out of the loop for now as the Roam won’t work with it reliably IME.

Ken, 
Thanks for that link. I’ve always been pronouncing that as “Kee”, rather that “Chee”. Good to know I was wrong, and will use the appropriate pronunciation from now on. 

Interesting read, beyond that nugget, too. :)

You can probably expect the Roam to take around the 5 to 6 hours mark to charge it fully on a certified Qi charger and somewhere around the 2 to 3 hours mark to charge it using a 5v/2A-3A USB-C charger, but please don’t quote me, as that’s not something I’ve actually properly tested, it’s just my own guesstimate.

Ken, 
Thanks for that link. I’ve always been pronouncing that as “Kee”, rather that “Chee”. Good to know I was wrong, and will use the appropriate pronunciation from now on. 

Interesting read, beyond that nugget, too. :)

I always thought is was pronounced “Cue Eye”.

Anyway, OP’s battery issues don’t sound like it’s the typical experience.  Perhaps a defective unit.

I always thought is was pronounced “Cue Eye”.

Me too.👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just curious, is it a ‘certified’ Qi charger? 
https://www.howtogeek.com/425885/what-is-a-qi-certified-wireless-charger/

Yes it’s Qi certified. It’s a JW 04087. I own several of these and they work great will all of my other devices

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@sdtheclub check the specs on that charger as it may not be able to deliver the minimum 1.5/amps 7.5 watts. I’ve read 5 watts posted by someone but I don’t think it’s right. 

“Charge with the included USB-C cable and any 5V/1.5A or 2.1A USB power adapter, a Qi-certified wireless charger, or the custom-designed Sonos Wireless Charger (sold separately).”

edit to add watts

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@sdtheclub check the specs on that charger as it may not be able to deliver the minimum 1.5/amps 7.5 watts. I’ve read 5 watts posted by someone but I don’t think it’s right. 

“Charge with the included USB-C cable and any 5V/1.5A or 2.1A USB power adapter, a Qi-certified wireless charger, or the custom-designed Sonos Wireless Charger (sold separately).”

edit to add watts

It’s a 5 watt charger which may not be right but it did work just fine charging my roam up until today. At this point I’m not going to run out and buy a charger as having to keep it on a charger when not in use is not what I’m wanting. Every time I use my other sonos speakers or the app my roam turns on and it never turns itself off so if it’s not on a charger it will be dead before you know it. If this is the way it’s and sonos isn’t going to change it then it’s sadly going back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The tech specs of the original Sonos wireless charger for roam show 5W as output. And i testet two third party QI chargers with 5W output and both were connected to a 5V 2,1W wall plug.  
One was working well, but with the other one the charging LED was flashing red. Imo this has to do with the size of the QI charger. The one making problems here is a very small one and roam doesn‘t match completely with the chargers plate. Just about 90% are fitting together. 
On the bigger one roam had no problems and was charging well. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

The tech specs of the original Sonos wireless charger for roam show 5W as output. And i testet two third party QI chargers with 5W output and both were connected to a 5V 2,1W wall plug.  
One was working well, but with the other one the charging LED was flashing red. Imo this has to do with the size of the QI charger. The one making problems here is a very small one and roam doesn‘t match completely with the chargers plate. Just about 90% are fitting together. 
On the bigger one roam had no problems and was charging well. 

Thanks I see now that the Sonos one is listed as 5w output over Qi. I wonder why they state at least 1.5 amps/7.5 watts but qi is 5w. I’ve had a problem with my 5w qi charging the Roam, I think it’s plenty big but I’ll have to check not. 

Userlevel 1

My experience... 

I'm only getting about 4-5 hrs on 50% vol and 3 days standby.

Contacted support and they suggested I return for a refund and the possibly buy again in a few months when the issue is resolved and the speaker may be reduced in price!

I have charged via Qi (it's definitely pronounced Chee) to 100% I don't see that charging via a wire would produce better battery life.

Unfortunately not fit for purpose. Very disappointing. 

Userlevel 1

I hope an update is coming because I’m over going to use my roam and it’s dead. Out of the five times I’ve wanted to use it I have only been able to use it once. I have to leave it on the charger when not in use otherwise it will be dead when I go to use it. When it’s on the charger and it gets to 100% there is no way to turn it off. If I hold the power button for five seconds it turns off but within a few seconds it turns itself back on again. If they don’t say a fix is coming within a week sadly it’s going back.

I’m having the same issue , I got mine a few days ago, I keep thinking I am turning it off but then after a while the white light comes back in . I went to use it this morning after being at 100% yesterday and it was completely drained. It’s now lost 20% over half a day . This is absolutely ridiculous. Sonos reckon on standby it will last around 10 days but I can’t see this happening  we should be able to charge and be ready to pick up and go without charging everyday . I’m very disappointed I the roam for this. I thought maybe I was not turning off properly and came to see if I could find an answer and found this thread.  .. has anyone found a answer to the problem? It is driving me mad keep turning itself back on. I don’t want it on standby permanently, I have other options for getting the weather etc. I just want to charge the roam , turn off and be ready to turn on when I want to take it outside. Surely that’s the point of a portable speaker

I’m having the same issue , I got mine a few days ago, I keep thinking I am turning it off but then after a while the white light comes back in . I went to use it this morning after being at 100% yesterday and it was completely drained. It’s now lost 20% over half a day . This is absolutely ridiculous. Sonos reckon on standby it will last around 10 days but I can’t see this happening  we should be able to charge and be ready to pick up and go without charging everyday . I’m very disappointed I the roam for this. I thought maybe I was not turning off properly and came to see if I could find an answer and found this thread.  .. has anyone found a answer to the problem? It is driving me mad keep turning itself back on. I don’t want it on standby permanently, I have other options for getting the weather etc. I just want to charge the roam , turn off and be ready to turn on when I want to take it outside. Surely that’s the point of a portable speaker

Perhaps see if my reply to your post in this thread assists you to power off the Roam fully: 

I have exactly the same issue. I've only used the Roam for 10 mins since having it delivered, but I've fully charged it 3 or 4 times, and switched it off after charging = put it to sleep. 

My observations is that it keeps waking from sleep without my touching it, draining the battery and next time I look at it I have an orange light and depleted battery. I suspect it something about sitting on my Sonos WiFi network. I may put it in BT mode, put it to sleep and see if it stays asleep. 

Hopefully an update will fix this problem. There is definitely an issue with sleep management and impact on battery life. 

I’m in the same club, turn off Roam NOT ON CHARGER or plugged in and yep, come back to it and it’s either dead or on.   Kind of pointless for a battery powered device to not keep itself turned off when not charging.   I’ll wait another week for a good answer or fix otherwise both units go back as defective.

I’ve got the same problem, but I have discovered why mine discharges… I can charge the Roam from it’s normal plug in charger, disconnect the charger and turn the Roam off completely using it’s power button when fully charged.  The second that I open my Sonus app (perhaps to adjust volume in another room on another speaker, or simply opening the app will do it) the Roam will switch on and quietly discharge it’s battery.  I’ve noticed this because I’ve sat next to the Roam whilst adjusting volume on a remote speaker.  It makes the Roam pretty useless really.  I want it to be charged and ready to go when I need it, rather than flat and needing to be charged up.  I’m going to ring Sonus on Monday, and if they can’t offer a solution, I’ll be reluctantly sending it back.. Shame, because the idea is perfect..

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @thornen, sounds like you may be putting the Roam in to sleep mode, rather than fully powering it off. When fully powered off, the Roam won’t wake up when the Sonos app is opened, however it will when in Sleep mode.

To fully power off the Roam, you need to hold the power button for 5 seconds, while setting it to Sleep is just a single press and release.

Hi @Xander P - Thanks for your help - much appreciated.  It’s a shame that the Set Up & User guide make no mention of this (definitely something that needs to be included to avoid lots of people like me complaining :slight_smile: ).  Anyway, I am pleased that you’ve responded so quickly, and pleased that there is no need for me to return the product.  Thanks again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @thornen, sounds like you may be putting the Roam in to sleep mode, rather than fully powering it off. When fully powered off, the Roam won’t wake up when the Sonos app is opened, however it will when in Sleep mode.

To fully power off the Roam, you need to hold the power button for 5 seconds, while setting it to Sleep is just a single press and release.

Xander, can you let the community know the status of working to fix this -- so the app doesn’t wake up the Roam when opened (unless that is desired)?