Roam charger. USB-A. Really?

The Roam charger cord is permanently attached to the base, which is already bad, but then the other end of the cable is a USB-A plug.  Welcome to 2015.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Here you go. 

Badge

completely agreed, I think its a really odd choice to have a USB-C device come with, or have sold separately, a 50$ charging pad that terminates in usb A. If they made it C I would cop since most/all of the nice multiports today are C (and will be since C is the future, a reality the designers of the roam, but not those of its charger, realized.)

Here you go. 

I really dont find this answer helpful at all. I have a bunch of these, but using one makes the cable termination like 2 inches long. for 50$ it should just be up to date with current technology.

Perhaps it depends on where you live and how fast you adopt new tech/standards, but I really don’t feel as though USB A is that out of date.  Honestly, I don’t think I even own any charging cables that use USB C on the source side.  Regardless, you have plenty of options.  If this charger is not acceptable, with or without the adapter, you can use any other Qi wireless charger or go with a wired charging connections.

Badge

Perhaps it depends on where you live and how fast you adopt new tech/standards, but I really don’t feel as though USB A is that out of date.  Honestly, I don’t think I even own any charging cables that use USB C on the source side.  Regardless, you have plenty of options.  If this charger is not acceptable, with or without the adapter, you can use any other Qi wireless charger or go with a wired charging connections.

you really do have an infinite amount of excuses for sonos’s weird choices. im impressed.  

>  I don’t think I even own any charging cables that use USB C on the source side.

im not sure you realize but that means you too are out of date with current technology. USB-C was initially introduced 8 years ago, and has been mainstream for at least 5. Sonos products are expensive, they should be at the forefront in as many ways possible- least difficult of all the ways to be so would be the 2 cent connector at the end of a cable. 

The power chargers I have here, use both USB-A and USB-C, so it’s not a huge issue, but if you look online, USB-A is certainly the most common type of connection.

Just to show that is the case, see this link (just as a single example):

https://www.howtogeek.com/690160/usb-type-a-connector-everything-you-need-to-know/

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m wondering how may ‘spare’ USB-A style chargers are hiding away in households worldwide that are not being used, vs USB-C? Maybe the choice of connector has saved a some old chargers being disposed of, and avoided new chargers being purchased?

you really do have an infinite amount of excuses for sonos’s weird choices. im impressed.  

Thank you!

>  I don’t think I even own any charging cables that use USB C on the source side.

im not sure you realize but that means you too are out of date with current technology. USB-C was initially introduced 8 years ago, and has been mainstream for at least 5. Sonos products are expensive, they should be at the forefront in as many ways possible- least difficult of all the ways to be so would be the 2 cent connector at the end of a cable. 

I’m out of date!?  Oh no!

I have plenty of device that use USB C, and all of them came with cables that use USB C on the source (power) side.   A quick look around shows that power blocks are a mix of A and C...still mostly A.  I get that you want everything in your home to be on C, but it seems a little silly to be upset about such a minor thing for an optional accessory