Answered

Roam - can I run two roams as a stereo pair on wifi with Sony bluetooth deck as the source?

• 10 January 2022
  • 2 replies

I accept it is not possible to stereo pair two Roams via Bluetooth. However, the Roam appears to handle Bluetooth and Wi-Fi simultaneously as I can receive a Bluetooth input from my Sony Bluetooth record deck and then group the roam with my other Sonos speakers via Wi-Fi.

I would like to buy a second Roam and use two as a stereo pair with my Bluetooth deck. Can I do this? Will one of the Roams be able to simultaneously receive a Bluetooth input from the deck whilst working as a stereo pair with the second Roam via Wi-Fi?

Logic says yes, but I’d rather not shell out another £179 if it doesn't work.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 January 2022, 19:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

As long as the Roam is in Bluetooth mode, you cannot connect another Roam as a stereo pair. You will only be able to group the second Roam with the first Roam.

I accept it is not possible to stereo pair two Roams via Bluetooth. However, the Roam appears to handle Bluetooth and Wi-Fi simultaneously as I can receive a Bluetooth input from my Sony Bluetooth record deck and then group the roam with my other Sonos speakers via Wi-Fi.

I would like to buy a second Roam and use two as a stereo pair with my Bluetooth deck. Can I do this? Will one of the Roams be able to simultaneously receive a Bluetooth input from the deck whilst working as a stereo pair with the second Roam via Wi-Fi?

Logic says yes, but I’d rather not shell out another £179 if it doesn't work.

You cannot.  When you place a speaker that is in stereo pair over WiFi, the first thing that happens is the pair is automatically broken, and you’ll see two rooms in the Sonos app where there used to be one.  You can’t repair them till bluetooth is turned off.   You can still group them, and they would play in mono.

Look at it this way, if you had a stereo pair and placed one of the speakers in bluetooth mode, and it stayed as a stereo pair, that would mean that the 2nd speaker cannot go in bluetooth mode.  Otherwise, you’d have one Sonos room with two bluetooth sources, potentially going at the same time.    There possibly is a technically work  around, making the 2nd speaker unable to go into bluetooth mode, but that creates confusion and other problems for customers.  Seems like Sonos thought their way was the best and easy to use, along with other issues.  I can’t say I fully agree with them, but I don’t have all the info and can understand the reasoning.