Answered

Roam battery is draining while plugged in and in use

• 16 June 2021
  • 9 replies

I’ve really liked the size and sound of the Roam, but there’s been a few problems with the battery. The first is that the Roam keeps turning itself on, even while sleeping or turned off - but this is being addressed in another thread. The second issue is that even while plugged in (not Q pad, but USB), the Roam battery drains while in use. I’ve a Move that doesn’t do this. The Roam *does* charge while not in use while plugged in (unless it wakes up from Off, then it drains), so there’s not a connection problem. At the very least, it should continue to charge AND be able to play music. I’m forced to use it plugged in while outside because it never has more than a 35% charge due to the draining issue while shut off.

Please tell me there’s a software/firmware update in the works to fix this. It’s pretty frustrating to have bought an expensive device and not be able to use it as advertised.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 June 2021, 12:26

Hi @MarcAnthony7 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’re still having this problem, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos Roam and what it reports.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

To shut off the Roam completely, you need to press and hold the button on the back for 5 seconds until you hear a chime. The Roam will not turn on again unless you press the button to turn it back on.

To shut off the Roam completely, you need to press and hold the button on the back for 5 seconds until you hear a chime. The Roam will not turn on again unless you press the button to turn it back on.

Thanks for the quick reply, but unfortunately that’s just not the case. It keeps turning itself on at some point and proceeds to drain the battery. There’s also the issue of not charging while in use and plugged in, which should be a minimum requirement for any portable device. 

Userlevel 7

My Roam has never turned itself back on automatically after I shut it off completely. Are you sure you are holding the button down for 5 seconds until you hear a chime?

If you just put the Roam to sleep, it will continue to drain the battery, and it will wake up anytime you open the Sonos app or press the button.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Thanks for the quick reply, but unfortunately that’s just not the case. It keeps turning itself on at some point and proceeds to drain the battery. There’s also the issue of not charging while in use and plugged in, which should be a minimum requirement for any portable device. 

My roam did this from time to time, in particular when on a third party Qi charger. I returned mine due to the issues I was having. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @MarcAnthony7 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’re still having this problem, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos Roam and what it reports.

2 suggestions. 
1. Turn off automatic updates on your sonos app settings. You can check updates manually periodically. I think that auto updates can wake your Roam up then it is sleeping and cause battery drain. 
2. Do a hard shut down (hold shut off button for about 10 seconds) when not using the Roam.

My unit can maintain a 100% charge overnight by doing these 2 tips. Hope that this helps. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have exactly the same two problems and the community says turning on is the intended behavior in that threat…

Sonos support doesn't treat this as a firmware feedback issue but as a warranty issue even though some of the problems had disappeared after the first few updates…

I still have the battery drain even when plugged in - sometimes it happens after a week.. 

I also have this same problems. Its getting really frustrating using the Sonos Roam -_-

What did the Sonos support team say when you called in?