Roam Auto On/Off Function Request

• 31 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Roam needs a software option to NOT turn on automatically when it senses a SONOS system. If unplugged and being used within the home, it is constantly draining the devices battery which negates the entire purpose (and name) of this “mobile” speaker. Can anyone @ SONOS speak to software updates in the works that address this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Agreed this is so annoying and totally unnecessary. My roam is always dead. 

I was not aware of the tip above to hold down the power button for 5+ seconds to turn it off completely. Ill try that but it shouldn't be needed. A single press should turn the speaker off and it should automatically turn itself off after 15 minutes. It definitely shouldn’t turn itself on automatically for any reason. 

There are two power modes on the Roam:

1. Sleep/Standby: Pressing the button once puts the Roam to sleep. When in sleep mode, the Roam uses less battery than when the Roam is awake. To wake the Roam, simply press the button again OR access the Sonos app and the Roam will automatically wake up. The benefits of sleep mode is not only battery conservation, but also the ability to wake the Roam without having to get up and manually press the button. Sleep mode also keeps the Roam connected to WiFi. So when you wake the Roam, it doesn’t have to take the extra time to reconnect to your network.
  2. Off: Pressing and holding the button for about five seconds until you hear a descending chime turns the Roam off completely. This conserves the battery even more than putting the Roam to sleep. Leaving the Roam turned off results in only 1%-2% of battery charge depletion per day. When you access the Sonos app, the Roam will stay shut off and display as “offline”. But by turning the Roam off completely, the Roam will disconnect to your WiFi and take more time to reconnect to your network when you power the Roam on again.

So depending on how you use the Roam, BOTH of these power modes can be very useful.

Userlevel 7

You should consider shutting off the Roam completely so it doesn’t wake up automatically and so the battery doesn’t drain so fast. When the Roam is turned off completely, it only loses about 1%-2% of battery charge per day. Press and hold the button down for about five seconds until you hear a descending chime.

Thanks for this tip, will test out, but I noticed even after doing full shutdown, if you throw this thing in a bag, the button is way too sensitive (and unprotected) so it usually gets bumped and wakes the unit. Maybe the solution is a full 5 sec power off + full 5 sec power on button sequence to prevent waking unit when traveling? 

Agreed this is so annoying and totally unnecessary. My roam is always dead. 

I was not aware of the tip above to hold down the power button for 5+ seconds to turn it off completely. Ill try that but it shouldn't be needed. A single press should turn the speaker off and it should automatically turn itself off after 15 minutes. It definitely shouldn’t turn itself on automatically for any reason.