roam and sonos system

Hi 

can the roam play at the same time as the one and 5 and sub?

the Sonos app doesn’t allow me to play music on the whole system including the roam.  

it’s either roam on its own without the rest or all the other speakers on their own without the roam.  

is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

thanks.   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes but only if the Room is connected to the same wi-fi as your other items.

All the speakers are connected to the same wifi….this is why I’m confused.  If I launch the Sonos app then only the roam comes up by itself or the other system by itself.   Not all together.  Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you using the S1 version of the App for your existing system?  The Roam requires the S2 version, the devices in your profile would all work on the S2 version.

If you are on the S2 version of the App, what is your network set-up?  i.e. Mesh, extenders, Powerline, etc?

Edit:

When you say that you can access your existing system or the Roam, how are you selecting which system?

Yes S2...using the wifi my service provider has supplied.  Not sure which system.  Where can I find this out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

All the speakers are connected to the same wifi….this is why I’m confused.  If I launch the Sonos app then only the roam comes up by itself or the other system by itself.   Not all together.  Any ideas?

How do you switch between systems or have you lost connection to your old setup?

Same problem:  I just received my two Sonos Roams, and want to add them to my house system (same wifi, same Sonos S2 app), which is Room #1 (Sonos Arc), Room #2 (Sonos Arc + two Sonos One SLs), and Room #3 (two Sonos One SLs).  When I add the Roams and try to play them with the whole system, I can’t get the Roams and Room #3 to both play.  The S2 app indicates they are all on and have volume, but either I have to turn off Room #3 to get anything out of Roams, or turn off the Roams to get Room #3 to play.  This sucks as the whole point of the Roams was to move them around the house.  Sounds related to @Chrisandmaryp issue!  any help appreciated!

How do you switch between systems or have you lost connection to your old setup?

So when you turn on roam only that shows in app.   When roam is off only house system shows in app???

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So when you turn on roam only that shows in app.   When roam is off only house system shows in app???

Now that is strange! 🤔 Can you factory reset the Roam and then confirm that you can see the rest of your system. Then open the settings option in the Sonos App and re-add the Roam.  If this doesn't work, then can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.

@Chrisandmaryp and @edhulina .  Please would you confirm if you can see all speakers on the System tab in the app at the same time, irrespective of whether they will play together?  If you cannot see them at the same time, you may have set up the Roams as a separate system.  If a you can can all speakers at once then you haven’t.

If they are all in same system my next request is for more info on your network please.  Specifically, make and model of router, any access points or extenders, and whether you have a wired Sonos device or in fully WiFi mode.   Do you have separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands?

Now that is strange! 🤔 Can you factory reset the Roam and then confirm that you can see the rest of your system. Then open the settings option in the Sonos App and re-add the Roam.  If this doesn't work, then can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.

How do I factory reset?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please see this article: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US#:~:text=While%20holding%20the%20Play%2FPause,ready%20to%20be%20set%20up.

@John B to answer your questions:

• Yes I can see all 3 existing system rooms plus the 2 new Roams (both individually and as a “room” when stereo paired) in the S2 app “System” list
  • Modem/router is Altice One (Foxconn) model UBC1326, with no additional extenders or access points in my home wifi network.  
  • My 3 existing rooms are wired Sonos devices (2 Arcs and 4 One SLs bewteen 3 rooms)
  • Not sure I understand your SSID question, but i only see one SSID for my network.

I'm at my wit’s end here - about to rebox these Roams up and send them back. They sound great, but are even more complicated to use and pair than my 5 year old UE Booms…...

@John B to answer your questions:

• Yes I can see all 3 existing system rooms plus the 2 new Roams (both individually and as a “room” when stereo paired) in the S2 app “System” list
  • Modem/router is Altice One (Foxconn) model UBC1326, with no additional extenders or access points in my home wifi network.  
  • My 3 existing rooms are wired Sonos devices (2 Arcs and 4 One SLs bewteen 3 rooms)
  • Not sure I understand your SSID question, but i only see one SSID for my network.

I'm at my wit’s end here - about to rebox these Roams up and send them back. They sound great, but are even more complicated to use and pair than my 5 year old UE Booms…...

The Altice One is a bit of an odd animal, being a modem, router and cable box in one.  Up to now your Sonos system has not needed to connect to your WiFi (except for the controller).  On a quick Google, it appears the Altice has a feature called ‘Smart WiFi’.  If you can find out how, i suggest you turn off that feature.  That should give you separate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

I suggest that as an experiment, you turn off the 5GHz band.

You may need to factory reset a Roam and readd it to your system, but don’t try that initially.

This is all a bit speculative, but ‘Smart WiFi’ sounds like the sort of feature that could cause trouble for a multi-device system like Sonos.

So it looks like resetting roam and then adding it again worked.   But now I can’t get Bluetooth to connect from my phone to roam?  When I keep my finger down on the roam power button it goes straight into power off???  My phone did recognise it at one stage and Bluetooth worked.  Any thoughts?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Chrisandmaryp, glad to hear you’ve got the Roam connected with the system.

Regarding the Bluetooth pairing, you’ll want to hold the button down for roughly two seconds, until you hear a second chime - releasing at this point should put the Roam in to pairing mode. Pressing the button and then releasing immediately will put the Roam to sleep, while holding it down for about 5 seconds will power it off completely.

Let us know if this helps :)

Thanks mate.  I’ll try this 👍