Roam and on/off switch

• 10 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi,

Just wondering if other owners have the same issue.

When I put my roam in my bag the on/off switch is not protected and it happens that it switches on and when I want to use it a few days later the batteries are empty.

I believe the on/off switch should be not sticking out but be either recessed or otherwise protected from being accidentally pressed to avoid unintentional switching the speaker on.

Thanks, Andreas

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Are you certain you are fully powering off the Roam device with a 5+ second power-button press until you hear the 4-tone descending jingle as shown in this YT video below, rather than placing the device into standby mode?:

@Ken_Griffiths 

Even if you switch it off completely a simple press of the on/off button boots the speaker on again and then it's empty a few days later, right?

It’s also perhaps notable, that there are a variety of carry cases for the Roam aswell, which perhaps make it far less-likely that it will be powered on whilst being transported in a bag. See this one (of many) such examples:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Khanka-Travel-Replacement-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B08ZKG3K9H

@Ken_Griffiths

Even if you switch it off completely a simple press of the on/off button boots the speaker on again and then it's empty a few days later, right?

No, the Roam’s power button requires a much longer-press to power it on from its powered off state, whereas it only needs a quick-press to resume from standby.

@Ken_Griffiths 

Thank you Ken. Much appreciated.

I'll keep playing around with it and see how it behaves.

Also, just to perhaps assist further… In its fully powered off state the Roam’s li-ion battery-drain should be around 3% per day (depending on environment temperature) and so should remain charged/ready for use for weeks whilst in that mode during its transportation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It takes a good 7 seconds to power the Roam completely. After 2 weeks in this state my Roam is at 87%. 

However it only takes the slightest of touches to the power button to turn it fully on. Any carry case needs a solution to protect the button. 
IMHO the best solution for me is to buy the Roam wireless charging bases and leave them on that till I want to use them, much the same as how I use the Move. 

It takes a good 7 seconds to power the Roam completely. After 2 weeks in this state my Roam is at 87%. 

However it only takes the slightest of touches to the power button to turn it fully on. Any carry case needs a solution to protect the button. 
IMHO the best solution for me is to buy the Roam wireless charging bases and leave them on that till I want to use them, much the same as how I use the Move. 

Thank you @bockersjv.

As stated I believe the power button should be some kind of recessed or protected from accidentally pressing.