Answered

Return Sonos Ones?

• 23 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I'm new to Sonos, having just bought a couple of Ones for my bedroom, and have to say I've been very impressed with them - they sound great! I was planning on ordering  more kit for the rest of the house.

However, having seen the recent announcements, I'm not willing to watch my speakers just stop working in what, 5 years? 10 years? 

I'm certainly not going to be buying any more speakers for the other rooms, and I've got until 7th Feb to return the Ones for a refund. Very tempted to do so, and use the money to buy a standard (non-Sonos) amp and speakers, and hook them up to an Echo dot.

Am I overreacting or is this sensible? I didn't realise I was paying to essentially lease the Sonos kit until you decide it's time I upgraded. Crazy!

How do I know how long my speakers will work? I need to know whether to keep them or return them...

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 January 2020, 22:53

Hi kie80, there’s a lot of misinformation out there. The devices that are going to move into legacy mode were designed a decade ago and don’t have hardware that can keep up with the systems software demands.

Our commitment for support is to keep providing software updates for devices for at least five years after they are no longer sold by Sonos. The Sonos One only recently came out, we have no plans to stop selling it any time soon. And even after we stop selling it, when it someday far from now becomes a legacy speaker, it’ll keep on working exactly as it does. Legacy means it won’t receive regular updates, but it’ll keep on doing everything it has been for as long as we can keep it going.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos  has stated they will support your speakers for a minimum of 5 years after it’s no longer sold with updates.  Could be longer, as it has been in most cases. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi kie80, there’s a lot of misinformation out there. The devices that are going to move into legacy mode were designed a decade ago and don’t have hardware that can keep up with the systems software demands.

Our commitment for support is to keep providing software updates for devices for at least five years after they are no longer sold by Sonos. The Sonos One only recently came out, we have no plans to stop selling it any time soon. And even after we stop selling it, when it someday far from now becomes a legacy speaker, it’ll keep on working exactly as it does. Legacy means it won’t receive regular updates, but it’ll keep on doing everything it has been for as long as we can keep it going.

Our commitment for support is to keep providing software updates for devices for at least five years after they are no longer sold by Sonos

I can still buy the Play 5 from your website. Does that mean that won't become legacy (and therefore continue to receive updates) for another 5 years+?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Our commitment for support is to keep providing software updates for devices for at least five years after they are no longer sold by Sonos

I can still buy the Play 5 from your website. Does that mean that won't become legacy (and therefore continue to receive updates) for another 5 years+?

The Play:5 gen2, that’s correct.

Yes, the legacy Play:5 was Generation 1.  If the Play:5 Gen 2 was discontinued tomorrow, you would still have 5 years and likely more given Sonos’ record (some of the legacy units just announced are from 15 years ago).