Answered

Resuming radio playback after pause using 'mute' button

• 29 June 2022
  • 8 replies

I used to be able to pause a radio station by using the mute button on the speaker and then resume it by pressing the same button 24 hours later.

This no longer works. Trying to resume using the button no longer works and I have to use the app. However, even in the app it is not possible to start the play again by tapping on the radio station image. I now have to select the station again from favourites.

This change has been relatively recent (a few months ago) and before all was fine.

icon

Best answer by buzz 2 July 2022, 11:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Maybe the playing session/connection times out at the radio station end - have you tried starting a ‘new’ session from the music services tab, or perhaps from a shortcut on the ‘My Sonos’ tab in the App to see if that might work for you instead?

Hi Ken, thank you for the response. That is possible and I do have to restart by using the App again.  However, this has only been the case in the last few months.  Before I could pause using the button on a One and then resume again using the button. It’s a convenience thing really as the One is in the bathroom upstairs and i don’t always have my ‘phone/tablet with me.  Thank you.  Richard 

You might need to see if the Staff here perhaps pick-up on your post. If not, you might be best to gather a diagnostic report from your system when you next encounter the issue, note it’s reference and then chat/contact the support staff via this LINK to see if it’s now happening ‘by design’, or something that perhaps needs altering in the software.

Thanks Ken, much appreciated.  Good point re the diagnostics report and contacting the team.  I’ll see if there’s any more responses over the couple of days and if not I will follow that route.

Userlevel 2

I have exactly the same issue.

I have a One in the kitchen and is on most of the time on Magic Radio as background music

Always used to be able to tap the play/pause button in the evening to turn it off, and in the morning tap the play/pause button and it would come back on with the same radio station

This function was exactly the same on a Play 5 that used to be in the kitchen before the One, and it did this function from when I first got it many many years ago

Sometime in the last year I had to change connecting to Magic radio and a few other radio stations from the previous connection in the sonos app to one specifically on Planet Radio. I am not sure if it started happening from then or not

This might be a ‘feature’ of the station in question. I have no similar issue with my MOVE’s and a favorite station.

Some stations annoy me a bit because they will have a startup sequence of station ID, followed by an advertisement as the station is started. After a pause this startup sequence is repeated.

Note that there could be an issue if you touch the play/pause button too long or accidentally touch it multiple times. You may end up attempting to deal with a Group. Here are some details.

Userlevel 2

No this does not seem to be a feature of a particular radio station

For years my sonos devices worked fine on the play/pause just like a radio on/off button. It came back on with the station is was dialled into before

Now it doesn’t

Having to either use app on device or PC to restart the same radio station or service

No this does not seem to be a feature of a particular radio station

For years my sonos devices worked fine on the play/pause just like a radio on/off button. It came back on with the station is was dialled into before

Now it doesn’t

Having to either use app on device or PC to restart the same radio station or service

I would perhaps just ask the Station Staff in question here, as things can (and do) often change from time to time - if it is something that has changed at their end (some sort of service-connection timeout, maybe?)… Then you might be able to begin to persuade them to revert things back (possibly🤔?). If you think it’s a Sonos issue you could also contact Sonos Staff too via this customer support LINK. It’s not likely something that the user community here is able to resolve.