Request: Roku App

• 24 January 2017
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
I have my Sonos:Connect connected to my TV, and one thing I would LOVE to be able to do is play music through the TV and use the TV as a controller. Being able to see what is playing, and use my Roku remote to rate tracks and control playback.

As complete as the Sonos experience feels for me, this is definitely a place where I feel I am missing.

Some of the streaming services has Roku apps, that definitely fills in some of the gap, but not all of them do. Plus this doesnt allow me to modify groups, which still has to be done through the use of a phone or computer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I agree! A roku app for sonos would really create the ability to interact with sonos without an iPad or computer around and display the artwork on the tv to everyone in the room! Also please get Spotify to update their roku app to choose sonos as device
I second this request: I have just entered the Sonos world, and the possibility to use my TV (with Roku) as a giant controller would be awesome. Roku systems are so widespread nowadays that I think the effort to build/adapt an app would be well worth.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Or the ability to Cast the Sonos App. Would love to have the app on my TV Screen for viewing Album Art, Whats Playing, etc
Badge
I agree that Sonos needs to expand control beyond cell phones and tablets. Roku would be a good start. Opening the platform would be even better. The single biggest annoyance I have with Sonos is that I have to use a dedicated app just for Sonos and another app while I'm away. I don't see how a closed system adds to the Sonos brand.
Agreed. Roku App please!
Badge
Just fyi the firestick has a sonos app. Works awesome. Nice big album art. Works just like the controller on a phone. U have to install mouse toggle for fire tv.
Just fyi the firestick has a sonos app.

Say what!? Which Firestick? Mine sure doesn't!
Badge
The Amazon fire stick. U have to unlock 3rd party apps on the device. Whatever its called. The app is not sanctioned by sonos
Ah, you must mean Kodi. Pass.
Agree - need a Sonos Roku channel/app so can control sonos on tv screen. Get to work on this Sonos Biz Dev team!
I have my Sonos:Connect connected to my TV, and one thing I would LOVE to be able to do is play music through the TV and use the TV as a controller. Being able to see what is playing, and use my Roku remote to rate tracks and control playback.

As complete as the Sonos experience feels for me, this is definitely a place where I feel I am missing.

Some of the streaming services has Roku apps, that definitely fills in some of the gap, but not all of them do. Plus this doesnt allow me to modify groups, which still has to be done through the use of a phone or computer.
What say you Sonos??? I saw a post from early January that one is in the works. Where does it stand?
Would you be so kind as to point me to where you saw the information that one was in the works, please?
The Amazon fire stick. U have to unlock 3rd party apps on the device. Whatever its called. The app is not sanctioned by sonos

Ok, tried this, just needed Downloader for the Sonos and Mouse apps, not Kodi. Works, but pretty much useless as a controller, having to move the mouse all over, then enable/disable it.

If you want to display what Sonos is playing on your big screen, i can highly recommend using the TunesMap app on AppleTV. Coming to other platforms, no idea when.

https://www.tunesmap.com/this-is-tunesmap/

What say you Sonos??? I saw a post from early January that one is in the works. Where does it stand?
Would you be so kind as to point me to where you saw the information that one was in the works, please?
https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-to-power-smart-speakers-soundbars-and-whole-home-audio/

"Roku Connect: Devices with this functionality can connect together wirelessly, similar to whole-home audio system like Sonos, and be controlled with voice commands from a TV remote. It will allow a Roku TV to easily pair with a Roku Connect sound bar, for example."