Question

Recommendation for Large Outdoor Space

Hi All,

Looking for a recommendation for a large outdoor space. I tend to play movies outside on a projector in the summer, connected to my laptop. One challenge I have is that one pair of speakers tends to be fine for folks sitting close to them, but not great for folks sitting further away.

My hope was to come up with a configuration via Sonos that would allow me to have sound for those upfront, and those further away.

My initial thought was to do something like use a PLAY:5 with a pair of PLAY:3s or PLAY:1s Place the PLAY:5 upfront, and the two PLAY:3s (or 1s) near the rear of the backyard.

My question to everyone: is something like this even possible? I'm not looking for surround sound, just a means to hear the same audio from a movie at all parts of the backyard.

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
2 Play 5's would be good. A Connect Amp wired to a pair of 8" 2-way ( weather resistant? ) speakers could be better.
Jamo makes good ones. But to even up the coverage, get the height up to 8-12' if possible. At a "convenient" height on a table that fires the sound into the front audience; who then block some sound to the rear. Raising the speakers reduces obstacles (people) and reduces the difference in distance of front -to-back of your seating area. Probably more speakers here isn't better, in my opinion.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
What I did was buy outdoor speakers (6) and have them placed around the yard for total coverage. They are wired to connect amps inside the house. That's what I suggest you do. - Kris 🙂
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Any thoughts / suggestions on speakers that would work well for this? Specific model(s)?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Search for Polk Atrium 8 speakers. - Kris:)
Out of doors, regardless of which speakers you use, the trick is to have them as close as possible to the listening area. Which means multiple speaker pairs, and depending on the speaker you purchase a Connect driving a third party amp that can comfortably drive multiple pairs/loads is best. Be sure to lay speaker cable of adequate thickness.

I also suggest a test to make sure that the sync issue isn't noticeable. Connect will introduce a small delay in the audio feed, which is usually not noticed. So will any other Sonos product you choose in place of Connect.