recent statement

• 25 January 2020
  • 12 replies

I love my play 5 and 2 play 1s and was about to buy a third. the recent announcement about gen 1 play 5 which I bought less than 2 years ago has made me lose faith in Sonos. Apple at least give you 5 years before they stab you in the back

12 replies

I love my play 5 and 2 play 1s and was about to buy a third. the recent announcement about gen 1 play 5 which I bought less than 2 years ago has made me lose faith in Sonos. Apple at least give you 5 years before they stab you in the back

Play:5 Gen 1 wasn’t being sold 2 years ago, unless you bought it used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos gives you a minimum of five years from the date a product was last sold as new by Sonos.

Check your data plate, the first four numbers are the date of manufacture, YYMM.

That’s all very well but not made plain to me when I bought it new. With Apple there are later models already on the market to choose from, I had no alternative choice from Sonos.

That’s all very well but not made plain to me when I bought it new. With Apple there are later models already on the market to choose from, I had no alternative choice from Sonos.

Well there was the Play:5 gen 2, launched when the gen 1 was discontinued 5 years ago. 

As I said, not made plain to me. Either by the retailer or Sonos and not mentioned in any of the Sonos information I looked at before I bought. However much you want to stick up for Sonos, they have not acted with any respect for their customers.

As I said, not made plain to me. Either by the retailer or Sonos and not mentioned in any of the Sonos information I looked at before I bought. However much you want to stick up for Sonos, they have not acted with any respect for their customers.

How was Sonos going to predict that the future would have things like voice control and multiple music services, when these things didn’t exist when the 32 MB devices were designed? 

If as said earlier they already had produced and were selling gen 2 they had already predicted the future and acted on it. 

If as said earlier they already had produced and were selling gen 2 they had already predicted the future and acted on it. 

I still can’t understand how you bought a Play:5 Gen 1 two full years after Sonos stopped selling it.  

I still can’t understand how you bought a Play:5 Gen 1 two full years after Sonos stopped selling it.  

Either on ebay or at a retail store that still had some stock available - surely not at Sonos store.

Either on ebay or at a retail store that still had some stock available - surely not at Sonos store.

Indeed. In fact, Sonos do not allow authorised retailers to sell on eBay or any other third party website. I can only believe that the OP bought his speaker from an unauthorized source.

Of course nobody explained about the gen 2 being availsble. Nobody would have thought there was any possibility of buying anything other than a gen 2.

I bought it from John Lewis, an extremely reputable retailer in the UK.

I bought it from John Lewis, an extremely reputable retailer in the UK.

And I bought mine from a local electronics chain in the UK about six months ago.

The main difference between us is that I was fully aware that I was buying an older version...