Answered

Reboot Speakers

Is there a way to reboot speakers besides unplugging? You used to be able to go to their IP and reboot from there but that was disabled. I have issues from time to time (individual speakers cutting out) and think a reboot would help from past conversations with tech support, but cannot do that now. Unplugging is not reasonable given where some of my speakers are located.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 May 2019, 02:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Unfortunately, not since they removed that ability.
Thanks Bruce. Anyone else think that this would be a valuable feature in the app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I miss it a couple times a year, not enough to buy a smart switch and plug the hard to reach Sonos into it.
Yes, there's a thread, I think in Advanced Setups, or Troubleshooting with a request and about a dozen (if I'm remembering properly) posts about it. I don't predict that it will be brought back, though...one of the reasons it was removed, I'm given to understand, was due to security concerns. Although perhaps that was more about the page that made it available, I don't know for sure.

I'm not holding my breath, though. And I think Stanley's got the right idea, at the very least for the short term.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I picked up one of these for a different device, it works quite well. Might get one for my Connect that is really buried.

https://smile.amazon.com/Woods-Indoor-Extension-Remote-Switch/dp/B000KKND86/ref=sr_1_6
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I'm also missing the reboot page, please make a reboot option available in the app. I'm using a couple of Play 3's in my garden, and they regularly disappear out of the app interface, but I can ping them so they have connection. This is probably due to WiFi issues (other neighboring WiFi networks on 2.4GHz band) and not easy to be solved since Sonos only works on the 2.4GHz band, which is a crowded band and very outdated technology. A simple reset option would make things a lot easier (instead of getting and climbing a ladder to reach the power outlets). Or better: Sonos, move the speakers to 5GHz band!
I'm also missing the reboot page, please make a reboot option available in the app. I'm using a couple of Play 3's in my garden, and they regularly disappear out of the app interface, but I can ping them so they have connection. This is probably due to WiFi issues (other neighboring WiFi networks on 2.4GHz band) and not easy to be solved since Sonos only works on the 2.4GHz band, which is a crowded band and very outdated technology. A simple reset option would make things a lot easier (instead of getting and climbing a ladder to reach the power outlets). Or better: Sonos, move the speakers to 5GHz band!

Sonos has tested the 5 GHz band for multi-room streaming, and it lacks the reach and penetration necessary for transmitting up to 32 different audio streams through multiple walls and ceilings. They do use it for their surround sound applications, because by definition the setup is all in one room, and video sync requires the low latency 5 GHz band.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
still should be an option to choose from, 2.4G band is a mess in crowded area's (and I don't even live in an apartment building, but most of my neighbors have multiple AP's). I have a 6 AP managed WiFi setup in which 5G could still be a better option.
still should be an option to choose from, 2.4G band is a mess in crowded area's (and I don't even live in an apartment building, but most of my neighbors have multiple AP's). I have a 6 AP managed WiFi setup in which 5G could still be a better option.

An option would be required to work, no matter how many disclaimers are made. It would also be be a support nightmare.

As to apartment living, I live in a 40 unit building that is congested with WiFi both 2.4 and 5 GHz, and my Sonos works great. Then again, I'm using Sonosnet, which is far more reliable and allows you to separate your Sonosnet channel from your regular WiFi. It gives the additional advantage of allowing you to connect your Sonos Controller devices on 5 GHz and bridging them over to Sonos via the Ethernet connected Sonos device. I highly suggest moving to a Sonosnet setup if you have 3 or more Sonos, or your experiencing WiFi interference.
Use of a 5Ghz channel would immediately kill both types of CONNECT devices, as they don't have a 5Ghz channel system in them.