Really Is not Sonos going to upgrade Playbar/base to HDMI-ARC and DD+ this year? PLEASE SONOS, LISTEN CUSTOMERS!

• 19 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
Well, I am so interesting in a 5.1 speakers to cinema, music and streaming. I love Sonos sound, but trust me, only Toslink/optical in playbar/base currently is difficult to understand. Oh yes! “Sonos is intended to streaming”, but well, most streaming services stream in DD+, and again, this format is not supported by Sonos as HDMI is also needed. WHY DOES NOT SONOS UPGRADE PLAYBAR/BASE TO HDMI AND DD+ SUPPORT?

2,000€ for an outdated 5.1 Sonos setup?? Harman/Kardon Citation series is similar in price and has much better conectivity even sound. For that price, in addition to Harman, Senheisser Ambeo Soundbar or Klipsch Reference Wireless are difficult to beat. But well, Sonos does not upgrade to HDMI & DD+ its flagship Playbar/base.
I really do not understand why Sonos is not moving forward.

ANY CONVINCING EXPLANATION SONOS?

PS: I know beam has hdmi but neither support DD+, and it is not suitable for large rooms.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Agree. Couple of years ago i skipped my traditional surround Sound system in order to clean space up.
went with sonos and i like the convenience.
but come on - 2019 and we are still on playbar V1, where as the Play:1 had 4 - thats 4 versions?

I still dont get why sonos won’t tale a bigger cut in this marked?
dts for Blu-ray and cec should not be a issue, but it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
DD+ cannot be usefully transported over S/PDIF or ARC, so is impossible on any current Sonos hardware. eARC hardware support would be necessary, plus software support of course.

The continued lack of DTS support remains a puzzle though, must be due to lawyers, can't think of any technical reason these days.