Answered

Re-setting up Play:5/2 fails - turns orange instead of white

Hi Sonos.

I've had a pair of Play:5 gen. 2 for a month or so and it has been working flawlessly as stereo speakers in my living room.

However, tonight all of a sudden the right side speaker didn't play - it did earlier this morning. Thus, I "dis-paired" the speakers and tried to set up the right side player again. Which failed. So I reset it to factory default. Then it seemed like it was working properly: The light flashed green. So I went on to set up the Play:5 Gen 2 as a new speaker: I went to settings, tapped add player, logged in, made sure the player was powered (still green light flashing), selected Play5 Gen 2 from the drop down menu, pressed the connect button, heard the sound, and then.. instead of turning white the player's light turned orange (at first flashing with some red flashing occasionally, and eventually SOLID ORANGE). Needless to say the set-up failed. So I looked it up on your website. Solid orange apparently means over heated? However my living room is just 23 degrees C, and the speaker isn't warm at all, and has been off for around 8 hours.

After a while - I guess ten minutes - the light was flashing green again, so I tried one more time to set it up. Without luck. Same error. After a while, again green lights. Tried again. Same problem.

The other speaker, the left side Play:5 Gen 2, is working perfectly fine (with wi-fi music through Spotify as well as line-in audio from my tv).

What is happening? Is it some sort of manufacturing error or am I doing something wrong here?

I submitted diagnostics: 7416222

Best regards
Kasper
icon

Best answer by Tom B 24 May 2017, 09:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Having the same problem
Definitely an issue with wireless. Works fine when plugged into eithernet. Diagnostics report: 1710497003.

Now what do I do?
Definitely an issue with wireless. Works fine when plugged into eithernet. Diagnostics report: 1710497003.

Now what do I do?

Personalyl.. I messaged one of the mods on here Keith N.. and asked him to follow it through.. he was very helpful. They emailed me a DHL shipping label for the return
Regards
I have had the exact same issue with the Play5 gen2 - was working fine and just stopped as above. Super frustrating for a system that I otherwise love. Please advise
Connect it with an Ethernet cable, as above, then run a diagnostic on your system and call in to Sonos.
Same issue, diagnostic number 1273049380
Similar issue diagnostic number 213603566
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
kevinrob18: Thanks for the diagnostic report. Based on my findings it seems that we will need you to give our support technicians a call to get this sorted. I am noticing a few things in the diagnostic report that warrant a much closer look. Thanks!

VincePham: Your diagnostic report came back blank. Normally this points to a problem getting data to and Sonos on the network. Do you happen to have any Sonos devices hardwired to the main routing unit?
Almost identical issue as K THOMSEN with one of my play5:gen2. These aren't even a year old and I've wasted so much time trying to get this speaker to work again. My wife is ready to dump them. I'm hoping not. My code is 536222113.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
genglar: Thanks for the diagnostic report. From what I can see, it seems the Play:5 is being de-authorized on your local network. It would be best to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time through a remote session.
Ihave the exact same issue with my play5. When connected by ethernet cable it works, and i submitted a diagnostics report while connected to ethernet: 1586154079

As soon as I disconnect the ethernet it stops working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
stef a: Thanks for the diagnostic report. Based on my findings, I'd recommend giving our support technicians a call to get a closer look at the hardware of this Play:5. Be sure to give them the same diagnostic number you gave here. Thanks!
Just want to say Customer Service diagnosed the problem, sent me a new Play 5 which works exactly as it should in the same place the old one wouldn't. THANK YOU Sonos for your customer support. The old 5 is on its way back to you and I hope the wireless connection issue can be sorted out so others don't experience the same problems.
Hi, I think I also have this issue - everything was working fine, lots of Sonos Units including 3 Play 5 gen 2s. Now one of them wasn't appearing, so I pulled the power out and put it back in again. It starts up goes flashing green. App can see it on wired, (doesn't seem to on wifi). Press the connect button and slow flashing orange led immediately. Diagnostic number 1364249240.

Thanks in advance.
I’m having the exact same issue with my play 5! I trouble shoot it and still not working! Please help SONOS! I submitted a diagnostic as well the number is #1436800529
I am having the same problem with my play 5 gen 2. Re-set with wired connection, now recognised. Diagnostic submitted #71640042.
I am having the same problem with my play 5 gen 2. Re-set with wired connection, now recognised. Diagnostic submitted #71640042.Hi. Could you explain what you mean by reset with wired connection'? Factory resetting does not involve any form of connection. Could you explain exactly what you have done?
Hi Jon - thanks for picking this up. I first performed a factory reset (unplugged, then plugged back in holding down the connection button). The problem persisted. My play 5 was not visible to set up. Following the advice on this thread, I did the factory re-set again, but this time with a wired connection. The play 5 was then visible, was set up and is now operating correctly, albeit with a wired connection, not wifi.
Do you normally operate in standard or Boost mode. This is, do you have a Sonos device wired normally or are you fully wifi? I take it that after resetting you just used 'Add a player or Sub' to add it back to your system?
Hi John,

I normally operate just on standard wifi - no Sonos devices are wired normally. Yes - after re-setting I just worked through the Add a player or sub process.

Thanks for your help.
If your other speakers are working over wifi, and the P :5 disappears when the cable is disconnected, then it may be a failed wireless card. The diagnostic would reveal that.

After disconnecting the cable, power the speaker off and on before you give up!
Hi - yes, disconnected, disappeared and then power cycled and still not there. Do you know if Sonos deal with this directly, or I am best to go through the retailer?
I'm afraid I don't know. I would pick it up with Sonos when they comment on the diagnostic. To save waiting you could call Support. I would pursue directly with Sonos until they tell you otherwise.
I am having the same issue suddenly with THREE of my speakers. Somehow, this all happened at once. I have the issue with two Play 1's and a One. After resetting them, the blink green as they should, but when I try to add them back, they blink orange and then turn solid orange.

What do I do to solve the problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same issue suddenly with THREE of my speakers. Somehow, this all happened at once. I have the issue with two Play 1's and a One. After resetting them, the blink green as they should, but when I try to add them back, they blink orange and then turn solid orange.

What do I do to solve the problem?

Hi cdew101,

Please try temporarily wiring in one of your Sonos speakers to your router using an ethernet cable. Then, start up the app and try to set up a system. Once connected, you can head into the settings menu, then choose advanced settings to find the wireless setup.

If you're still unable to get the speakers connected, it would be a good idea to continue troubleshooting live with our phone team. You can find our phone number and hours here.