Answered

Re-setting up Play:5/2 fails - turns orange instead of white

Hi Sonos.

I've had a pair of Play:5 gen. 2 for a month or so and it has been working flawlessly as stereo speakers in my living room.

However, tonight all of a sudden the right side speaker didn't play - it did earlier this morning. Thus, I "dis-paired" the speakers and tried to set up the right side player again. Which failed. So I reset it to factory default. Then it seemed like it was working properly: The light flashed green. So I went on to set up the Play:5 Gen 2 as a new speaker: I went to settings, tapped add player, logged in, made sure the player was powered (still green light flashing), selected Play5 Gen 2 from the drop down menu, pressed the connect button, heard the sound, and then.. instead of turning white the player's light turned orange (at first flashing with some red flashing occasionally, and eventually SOLID ORANGE). Needless to say the set-up failed. So I looked it up on your website. Solid orange apparently means over heated? However my living room is just 23 degrees C, and the speaker isn't warm at all, and has been off for around 8 hours.

After a while - I guess ten minutes - the light was flashing green again, so I tried one more time to set it up. Without luck. Same error. After a while, again green lights. Tried again. Same problem.

The other speaker, the left side Play:5 Gen 2, is working perfectly fine (with wi-fi music through Spotify as well as line-in audio from my tv).

What is happening? Is it some sort of manufacturing error or am I doing something wrong here?

I submitted diagnostics: 7416222

Best regards
Kasper
icon

Best answer by Tom B 24 May 2017, 09:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Kasper, welcome to the community. The solid orange light at that stage of the setup process just means that the speaker was unable to obtain an IP address from the router, so basically for some reason it could not join the network. Can you try the factory reset and setup again, but this time do it with the PLAY:5 connected to your router with Ethernet. This will probably allow work and allow the speaker to join. At that point please send us a new diagnostic while the speaker is still wired and reply here with the number you get.
Hi Tom.
I reset to factory with ethernet. Got 7425216.
Now it's constant white, and if I go on and add unit it finds my Play:5/2 right away. Should I just set it up with the ethernet connected and then pull out the ethernet? I have to pull out power as well, then. My ethernet isn't long enough to go from my router to shelf where the speaker should be..
So I just did the above mentioned: Set-up the second speaker using ethernet, paired it as stereo. Worked fine. Until I pulled the ethernet. Then it's off again. This time with a white light, though.
Diagnostics now: 7425286

Seems like the wireless receiver is broken?

The non-working speaker is literally three feet from the router.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hey K THOMSEN,

Thanks for submitting those diagnostics. From what you're describing there may be a problem with the PLAY:5's wireless card. If you don't mind, please wire the malfunctioning PLAY:5 to the router again. When it's connected and visible in the Sonos app, please submit a diagnostic while it is plugged into the router. Once we get a diagnostic with the PLAY:5 that has not been able to stay connected wirelessly, we will have a better idea of what is going on with it.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
Hi Omar.
Now it's connected to my system again (wired to the router) and paired as stereo with my other Play5.

Diagnostics: 7427284
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Diagnostics: 7427284

Thanks for that diagnostic. Unfortunately that PLAY:5 has developed a fault with it's wireless card and we need to replace it. I've created a support case under the email you registered your account with. You'll get an email from us shortly with some further instructions.
Okay. I've send the e-mail.
Dear Sonos,

I've the exact same issue with my Play:5 gen 2. It was working perfectly and all of a sudden the Sonos system didn't recognize one of the play5 speakers. Tried everything and finally resetted it. Now after adding the play5 again, the light turned solid orange.
What to do?

Thanks.
Best regards,
Daniel
A solid orange LED is warning mode. This is usually due to overheating, but can be other things. The advice on the Sonos Support site is the following:

If you’re setting up a Sonos player for the first time:

If this is the first time setting up your Sonos System, follow the instructions in our article: How to Set Up Sonos: Standard Setup

If you already have a working Sonos System, follow the steps in our article: Adding a new Sonos product to your system

If your player has already been set up and was previously working properly, but now displays a solid orange light:The player is in a warning mode and may be in danger of overheating. You may find that the player’s volume will not go above a certain level, or turn off altogether. Unplug the product and move it to a location where it can cool down. Ensure the room temperature is less than 104°F / 40° C and move the product out of direct sunlight. Wait several minutes for the player to cool down and then reconnect it to power. Wait a minute until the player displays a solid white light and attempt to play music to the player. If these steps do not resolve the issue, please contact Customer Care.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/227/~/led-lights-on-sonos-products
Badge
Hello,

Im experiencing the same issue with my sonos. The diagnostic report number is 7731721
I have the same issue with my gen2 play:5 that I keep in the kitchen. It was working fine for the past several months connected via wifi and suddenly this morning it won't connect. I tried a factory reset and I get an orange light at the end of the setup process. I was able to successfully set it up using a wired connection. My diagnostic confirmation number is 7853065.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, sbodas. Thank you for the diagnostic report and your patience. I was able to look up your Sonos account and saw you currently have a ticket with our technicians to get the PLAY:5 replaced. Feel free to respond directly to the email message sent to your email, or give us a call and use the reference number: 170920-000328 - This will allow the technicians to pull up the ticket and the previous diagnostics.
Hi. I’m experiencing the exact same sequence of events and issue as the OP. Play 5 missing from list, reboot with white light, reset goes to flashing green, try to add to system results in solid orange led. Same fault? (Boost set up)
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
PatrickN: If you plug the PLAY:5 into the router using an Ethernet cable does the speaker associate as expected? If so, please submit a diagnostic report with the speaker plugged into the router and be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.

Thanks in advance.
Hi. Yes, speaker is found on the network and sets up correctly when using ethernet connection. Fails to be found when disconnected. Diagnostic report 8110425.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
PatrickN: Understood. Thank you for submitting the diagnostic report. I was able to determine that the device has a faulty wireless card. Please send me a PM with the following details and I will be happy to get the replacement process started.

Full Name:
Shipping Address:
Contact Number:

Thanks in advance.
I am having the same issue. I just plugged the faulty speaker into my Ethernet cable and ran a diagnostics report as well. The diagnostic number is 8200471.

You should see two play 5s and one play 3 on the report.

Thank you
Same issue here - diagnostic 8317923
Hi, please can you help. I am experiencing the same issue as described here. Working fine then one day this speaker stopped, other speakers working fine. I have tried the same steps as K THOMSEN. The device (Play 5) can only been seen wired but cannot be added via wireless. I think the wireless card is faulty. My diagnostic number is 8411233. Thanks in advance.
Have the same problem happened just today morning, sudenly play5 loosen from the apps and even the light is continous white (but not solid). Try to follow steps for adding new play5, with wired just fine but not without it & continous orange light (wifi just fine since i still can play the playsub).The diagnostic is 8448259. Please help thank you

Rgds,
Bastian
Hey sonos.
I'm seeing the same problem with thats been reported in this tropic.
The diagnostic number is 8448933. Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to replace the speaker?
I am experiencing this same issue. Please advise.
Hi @Keith N
I have the same problem. I have followed your advice on this thread so far and have submitted a diagnostics report.. The id is 1856059847. The suspect speaker is the play5:gen2.
Thanks in advance for your help
Kind regards
Robin:)
The same problem here, each time after update, one of my SONOS 5/2 lost connection. I have to reset it and link it to router and re-connect it.:(
Hi @Keith N
I have the same problem. I have followed your advice on this thread so far and have submitted a diagnostics report.. The id is 1856059847. The suspect speaker is the play5:gen2.
Thanks in advance for your help
Kind regards
Robin:)

UPDATE: Fantastic service, Shipped my return on Monday, New replacement delivered Thursday.... Thank you SonoS 🙂