Question

Quick Sub reassignment

• 28 April 2017
  • 7 replies

I have 2 use cases where I'd like to be able to quickly and easily reassign a sonos sub to different speakers.

Master Bedroom. I have 2 Play 1's in a stereo pair on the night stands. Would like to be able to have sub assigned to these but then change/toggle the sub to be assigned to the Playbar that's in the armoire with the tv. When I'm listening to music on the Play 1's, I don't want to open up the armoire....I just want to use the Play1's with the Sub. When I'm watching TV, I want to have the Sub assigned to the Playbar. Buying a second Sub seems silly.

Outdoor Pergola. Similar situation. I have a TV with a Soundbar and a Sub. I also have two Play1's mounted high in the pergola facing the pool. If I'm just in the pool, I would like the Play 1's and the Sub connected. If we are watching TV/movies, I'd like the sub assigned to the Playbar.

Is there a solution for this that doesn't involve purchasing 4 subs?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge
The way I look at it is you don't actually assign the sub to a particular speaker (or pair). You could assign the PLAY:1 pair, the PLAYBAR and the sub all to the BEDROOM. Then turn the volume all the way down on any speaker you don't want to hear at the moment.
No; the Sub must necessarily be assigned - bonded - to either a speaker, or a speaker pair. In the above case, there is no such thing as BEDROOM, except when any speaker/speaker pair is named that way. To which a Sub can be bonded.

Changing over the speaker/pair to which the Sub has been bonded can be done from a chair, but does involve a few steps via the controller and can be tedious to do repeatedly.
Thanks Kumar - That's what I figured, but it sure seems like a good opportunity for Sonos to tackle. In my opinion, one of the biggest advantages that Sonos has with its wireless solution is to handle things like this. Prior to Sonos, in this situation I would have needed to move an RCA sub-cable from one system to the other system and then reconfigure the sub. Now, we live in a world where there is a possibility that this could be a toggle with each configuration stored in software. I'm certainly not looking for anything that offers infinite configurability, but being able to bond a sub to 2 different speakers/setups in the immediate area doesn't seem difficult from an engineering perspective. Until then, I'll limp by.
Reducing the controller steps needed to do this isn't as much of an engineering challenge as one of prioritisation, as to when Sonos will decide to devote resources to the required effort.
Thanks Kumar and I completely agree. What I'm not sure of is how to go about requesting that this gets added to the roadmap/backlog for consideration or prioritization. Do you happen to know if their Product Managers (or equivalent) monitor these groups and pull out things like this or is there another way to add items as customer requests?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos do monitor these boards and sometimes they will post in these threads along the lines of "Thankyou for the suggestion we'll pass it on".

Your request is similar to other requests. be they quicker/easier re-assignments or having a Sub in multiple rooms at the same time.

what you won't get, however, is any indication that they will be taking it up as a new feature and certainly no roadmap.
Sonos do monitor these boards and sometimes they will post in these threads along the lines of "Thankyou for the suggestion we'll pass it on".

Your request is similar to other requests. be they quicker/easier re-assignments or having a Sub in multiple rooms at the same time.

Small correction to the first sentence : Sonos claims to do so by reading every post; based on my experience with some of my posts, I have my doubts that this monitoring truly involves reading every post and is a very subjectively driven thing. I suppose you can hope that this one is read, and count on the fact there have been other such requests such that at least one sticks.

In the past, Sonos installed a formal system to capture suggestions, but I suspect they soon tired of it and pulled the plug on it.

On this one, instead of holding your breath and limping along, a better solution may be to leave all speakers running all the time in grouped mode - this should work at the pergola. Indoors, decide where the Sub adds more value and leave it there. I suspect this is what you must already be doing!